Frank
Frank, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Expert in gold, silver, jewelry and American antiquities.
66811035

I purchased a secretary style desk today with a slanted drop

Customer Question

I purchased a secretary style desk today with a slanted drop top, claw and ball feet, support beams that pull out, and incredible ornate woodwork. The outside of the desk is in great shape. The inside is a little rough from wear and tear. I believe it could be mahagonny or walnut. Most of my research points to Chippendale period. Would you agree based on the above? What other characteristics can I use to age this desk and possibly find out where it was made? Thanks!
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hello and Welcome to Just Answer,

My name is***** am a Personal Property Appraiser and would be happy to assist you with your question.

Do you have any photos of the dove tails or joints on the sides of the drawers you may be able to send?

There are a few different options to send pictures to us, they are as follows:

UPLOAD:

The link below will direct you through our upload process

http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert

EMAIL:

You can also email pictures to support@justanswer.com with ATTN MTantiques in the subject heading. Be sure to include the link to your question page in the email for our customer service. The emails can take up to a few hours to process, but as soon as I receive it I can send my evaluation.

Thank you for your time,

Frank

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The attached is the best I have of the fittings at the side of the drawers. The desk will be in my possession on Tuesday and I can provide a better picture then if needed. Thanks!
Expert:  Frank replied 1 year ago.

Thank you very much for sending over that photo. The picture worked out great, I could see exactly what was needed see. Your desk is a 20th century reproduction of a Chippendale slant front desk. The Paw foot and batwing brasses are indicative of that style made popular in the 18th century.

This piece would have been produced in the mid 20th century. In the current market you would be looking at a resale value of around 350-450USD for the desk. The antique and colonial American styles have taken a bit of a back seat to more modern styles in the market, dropping the values quite a bit with the demand.

I hope this information was helpful to you today.

Best of luck with your desk.

Any feedback you can leave for my service would be much appreciated.

Thank You,

Frank

Please let me know if you have any difficulties with our rating system.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I admit your response was not what I expected. What were the signs this desk was a reproduction in the 20th century and not an older piece? What was signature about the joints that dated it newer rather than older? I am attaching a few additional picture for added review. Thanks!
Expert:  Frank replied 1 year ago.

It was a combination of things including the finish, the way the brasses were made, the lack of handmade dovetails and the lack of detail i the carved feet. These all lead to the fact that this is a machine made piece made in the 20th century.