Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Expert in decorative arts especially ceramics, silver, paintings, and furniture.
63759197

I have a Nippon vase owned by my Father-in-law's

Customer Question

Hi, i have a Nippon vase owned by my Father-in-law's Grandmother, probably dating somewhere in the late 1800's it says hand painted Nippon on the bottom with a japanese symbol and has 2 handles with a flat front and roses painted on it
I'm wondering what the value might be
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help with your Nippon vase

Thanks for the photo of the mark.

Could you very kindly attach a photo of the vase itself.

Also, how tall is it?

Many thanks and wait to hear,
Robert

PS. Meanwhile, please don't rate me until you get a full appraisal and a value from me. I mention this because you may get random prompts asking you to rate me before I've submitted an answer, ignore them, they are automatically generated by the site (it doesn't seem to be able to distinguish an answer from preparatory back and forth and information gathering) and don't come from me.

Thanks, Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is about 10 inches tall with the top on
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.

Thanks so much for the dimensions and the photo.

I can see exactly what you have now. This is a very pretty vase. The shape is known as a "pilgrim bottle" or "moon flask" a form known in Chinese ceramics since the Tang dynasty over a thousand years ago.

The blue backstamp with the words Hand Painted, NIPPON and maple leaf mark dates back to 1891 and is one of the earliest registered by the Morimura brothers, who later created the famous Noritake china brand.

The artwork is in a classic Art Nouveau style that is so typical of the best Nippon ware of this era, the late Meiji period -the last decade of the 19th century and the first decade of the twentieth century.

Nippon became popular because of both the unique shapes as well as the decoration and because no two were ever identical. The colored enamel painting of the bouquet of roses is all hand painted as is all the decoration in raised paste and gold. The equivalent porcelain from Europe at that time would have had printed decals with a little heightening by hand and was not nearly so interesting.

Those raised enamel highlights to the petals of the roses, looking almost like dew drops, and the raised gold embellishment, is called or moriage (pronounced "mori-ah-gay"). It is applied as tubes, dots or modeled in just the same way as one would decorate a cake with a piping bag, a very difficult decorative art to master.

So as far as value is concerned, this similar example, not as pretty as yours in my opinion, and without a top, sold on eBay for $390.

http://i.imgur.com/3pibtpk.jpg

If you were to sell your Morimura Brothers, Nippon moon flask at a good antique auction house or on line (eBay etc) it would fetch in the range of $350 - $500.

It therefore has a full retail value of at least $1000. This is also the replacement value for insurance purposes.

I do hope this helps!

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance with this, I would be glad to.

Best wishes,
Robert

PS. If there's anything more I can help you with on this please don't hesitate to ask. If not, could you very kindly rate my services (with the stars or "accept" button) as this is how I get paid by JustAnswer at no extra cost to you. We can still continue to communicate here on this thread after you do.

Many thanks. R

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much. I have no intention to sell, but really wanted the background info on it. I appreciate your answer.Cheryl
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** to have helped and so glad you are going to continue to enjoy it.