Tim in Antiques
Tim in Antiques, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Certified Fine Art Appraiser, MA, President of ANA, CFAA
54025905

I have some original pictures, they look to be pen and ink

Customer Question

I have some original pictures, they look to be pen and ink and watercolor. I have three in the set, they are painstakingly detailed of architectures in a foreign country and they are signed, and look like the names of places are signed by artist, too. Unfortunately, I cannot make out the signature, or read his unusual handwriting. I brought them to a reputable antique dealer a long time ago and he said that they were very valuable, and to bring them somewhere that did fine art. What can you suggest? Ty for your time and advice!! PS/ I think you have a totally cool job!!
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Tim in Antiques replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** you for the complement and the question. If you can send clear images of the art I will look at them for you. Take them in natural light where there is no glare, one of the whole front, back and clear close ups of the signature. You can use either the paperclip icon found on the tool bar or you can email them to: ***@******.*** attention Tim in appraisals.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your response and help, in advance! I have had these pictures for over thirty years and it will be fantastic to find out about them- I truly love my pictures and have a lot of various pics- but these have always been my favorite. Especially because I like to do pen and ink myself, so I can really appreciate all the time and work that must have gone into them. They really need to be rematted, but I don't want them damaged. Only one is open to the eye, the rest are fastened in by tiny nails, so I really don't want to take them out, unless necessary. The backing that is open to the eye has a unusual paper, that the part that is the actual picture is different paper- like paper that would be used for watercolor work. I am also nervous that the matting I have is going to damage the pictures eventually. Please feel free to give me your thoughts- I would most truly appreciate it!! :) I tried my best to take pics without glare- which seems near to impossible without taking out nail fastening. But if you tell me it is absolutely necessary I will. I took pic of the one that is removable, in hopes that will answer your questions. They are all undoubtably by the same artist, as you will see by the cryptic handwriting. I will wrap it up here, as I am sure you already think I am long winded, sorry for that!! I can't wait to hear back from you and am VERY excited!!! Thank you again so much and hope you are enjoying a peaceful evening!!
Most Sincerely,
Sandi
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Tim
Did you see the pics I sent along with that last email? I am getting a email to rate service on my answer, of which I don't know yet, lol. I am hoping that it's just computer generated. Are the pics sufficient enough to get info on the set? Not trying to rush you- just want to make sure you have what you need to research the artwork. Thank you in advance for your expertise and patience!
Best Regards!
Sandi

Sandi not not rate yet. Wait until you get an answer. We are going to be working together to solve the mystery. Do you see an indentation around the edge of the paper near the mat?

I received the emailed images this morning, thanks. I have tried to zoom in on the image to see it closer but the writing is rather cryptic and the image breaks up. Is it possible to send a clear shot of the whole text line on the clearist? The one of the door and steps looks like it might be more readable. Do you have a macro setting on the camera to make it as clear as possible?

As far as preserving the You might look into getting them re-matted with acid free material.