Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

We bought a home from an elderly man whose mother had

Customer Question

Hello-
We bought a home from an elderly man whose mother had passed. He sold the house with some furniture and there is a an antique looking twin bed with unusual curved headboard/footboard. It appears to be a sleigh bed and the curve looks more like a wave down the middle, making the left half appear more in front then the right half which appears to be behind. There are also roman numerals on the insides which looks like they assist in matching up the side rails? I cannot find a comparable picture of this bed anywhere. We are looking to sell it and would like to know how much it may be worth. Thank you.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Great House Antiques replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for your question!

So, that I may best evaluate your bed, please tell me a bit more... For instance, how high/ wide are the side rails (from bottom to top) and are they decorated? Or, are they just standard, plain rails that the bedding would hang over and cover? Also, is the footboard behind the headboard in the image? If so, is it about half the height of the headboard? Finally, there seems to be a "gill" or "vent" exposed at the base of the curve design both left and right. Is this damage or part of the construction/ design?

Thank you.

GHA