Tim in Antiques
Tim in Antiques, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Certified Fine Art Appraiser, MA, President of ANA, CFAA
54025905

I need an expert opinion. I recently found three very old

Customer Question

I need an expert opinion. I recently found three very old wooden plaques. I have searched the internet and cannot find the information I need such as value. The front of each plaque has a horse with Chinese script. On the back they are individually numbered, 1-005 Prized Steeds. Hsueh Tien Tiao a line below reads, Long Shih-ning with the date 1688-1766 in parenthesis. Are these valuable items?
Thank you very much for any information.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Tim in Antiques replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is***** you for your question. The name and dates match:

LANG Shih-Ning (1688-1766)

CASTIGLIONE Giuseppe , LANG Shining 郎世宁/郎世寧

Lang Shih-ning was the Chinese name used by Giuseppe Castiglione, a native of Milan, Italy. At the age of 19, he entered the Jesuit order as a novitiate, and his early training also included painting and architectural planning. He was later sent to China, where he arrived in 1715. His skills as an artist thereupon came to the attention of the court and he served under three emperors (Yung-cheng, K'ang-hsi, and Ch'ien-lung) as a painter. He combined his previous art training with his studies of Chinese painting to create a hybrid technique that fused the essence of both traditions and that had an influence on court style at the time. He excelled at painting figures, birds-and-flowers, animals, and landscapes.

He is best known for his paintings rather than wood carving of which there are no records.

Can you sent images of the plaques? You can use the paper clip icon found on the tool bar to attach them or send them by e-mail to:***@******.*** attention Tim in Appraisals. Please include clear images of any writing.