rarewares
rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

My grandmother gave me a statuette which she probably got

Customer Question

My grandmother gave me a statuette which she probably got sometime between 1900 and 1960. It is of a young woman curtsying. She is wearing a bonnet, a shortcoat and very wide and ample skirts. It looks as if the statuette is made of plaster and painted (not porcelain). There is no signature, but a marking on the base. The number 391 is scratched on the back. Where should I take this to get an appraisal?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.

This is a chalkware figurine from the 1940's. Several American companies made these during this time period. Chalkware is made of gypsum (the same stuff that drywall is made of) and is a form of plaster. It was then painted or airbrushed is vivid and/or pastel color themes. This type of ware does get damaged very easily and I see that yours is missing part of the bonnet. In pristine condition, this would be worth $40.00 and in this condition it is worth $20.00.

Please click the stars to rate me, thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much for your helpful information.
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.

You are welcome. Please click the stars to rate me before you log out today.