rarewares
rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

I have a metal plate that was given to me by my Grandfather

Customer Question

I have a metal plate that was given to me by my Grandfather it is very unusual and would like to know something of its history and also wanting to know if it has any worth.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.

This is a circa 1900-30 Qajar Persian silver plate/charger with Islamic symbolism. This piece could be silver over copper or it could be sterling silver because they made these from both. The Persian silver marks look like the the top image that I have attached, this mark would be on the bottom center of the charger (possibly tarnished). If there are no marks, then it is silver over brass or copper.

Value if silver is $800.00 us dollars, value of silver of copper or brass, $175.00.

Please do click the stars to rate me, thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where would this have been made?
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.

It was made in Persia, which is now Iran.