rusufdavi
rusufdavi, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques and collectibles
73504548

Howdy, Today I bought a Bed which was purchased and brought

Customer Question

Howdy, Today I bought a Bed which was purchased and brought back from Hawaii by a cousin in the 1940's. He was sent there by the army and from what I understand quite the collector. I have pictures of the bed, if I can post them for you to see. The bed has a 7' high head board.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rusufdavi replied 1 year ago.

Hello

Thank you for making your question to JustAnswer. My name is*****'m an Antiques Expert and I will try to help you with your particular inquiry. Please, don't hesitate to contact me any time or to make follow up questions if needed.

Could you provide a picture of any of the metal parts used in the bed?

Could you inspect the bed and try to locate the manufacturer label or mark? If you can find it, could you also take a picture of it?

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have lots of pictures, and it is very elaborately carved with panels that have a different wood, a curly pattern. There is no makers mark, the side boards have metal hooks and the feet have little metal wheels, I have pictures of all this
Expert:  rusufdavi replied 1 year ago.

great! Could you attach them here?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did you receive the photos?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
From looking online a pictures, I think this is Koa wood with "curly" Koa wood panels or veneer. But I don't know what the symbols mean, or the value of the piece, It came with slats too, which appear to be the same wood but not finished, one of the slats has some numbers on it, but not stamped, written like 6785 in crayon or dark colored chalk
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you still there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello?
Expert:  rusufdavi replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I'm reviewing the pics

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok
Expert:  rusufdavi replied 1 year ago.

From he pics, I can see that you have a beutifully hand crafted bed. The curved wood is made of Veneer, while the wood with that pattern is Koa. Without a manufacturer mark, the best way to date the bed is using a picture of the metal parts. From the pictures you have just uploaded, I cannot see any metal part of the bed. Could you upload a picture of a metal part?

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
here is the sideboards, with metal hooks to hook the sides onto the head and footboard, I don't have the picture of the little metal wheels anymore, can get one later. What curved wood do you mean? it appears solid to me, the entire bed looks to be solid wood, except the panels which may be veneer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can you just answer me on here instead of texting me?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK I have to go out now, have an apt with the doctor. I have also sent for a photo of the little wheel. So will contact you again, somehow, not sure how, in a few hours when I return
Lee
Expert:  rusufdavi replied 1 year ago.

Hello Lee

The metal parts of a furniture can tell us a lot of information regarding when it was manufacturer. Without the manufacturer label or mark, we cannot date who was the manufacturer or where. However, with the pictures provided I can date the furniture as being manufacturer in the 1900-1950 period. This is because all the screws are modern, they were manufacturer using machining process, and not hand forged or even cast.

Regarding the value of your item, I have just perform a market research of similar sold items as yours. I performed the research based upon the most recent finished auctions and private sells, so the value given is the real market value of your item. This is the only way to know the exact value of your unit.
The value will be in the range of 900-1,400$.

Please, use the stars to rate my answer or let me know if I can help you any further!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please text me the last response as I am in a car now
I do not see that the "curved" wood is veneer it appears to be solid wood very very heavy
If any is veneer it is the curly panels
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What screws? I do not see any screws at all
Expert:  rusufdavi replied 1 year ago.

Sorry I meant the metal parts that you can see in the pictures, not screws.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, I am back, I still not have received the photo of the wheel yet, as I have not picked up the bed, so the man who owned it has a picture and will send it to me.
I would like to review the sites where "I have just perform a market research of similar sold items as yours". I performed the research based upon the most recent finished auctions and private sells". Please copy them for me so I can see them.
Also I still do not understand where the "The curved wood is made of Veneer" is, where is this wood? please show me which picture that tell you it is veneer. I do not doubt that the panels and there are many may by veneer, but as I said I examined this bed carefully and the rest of the wood appears to be solid wood. Do you think you can narrow down from a 50 year span of time when the bed was made or which island?
Expert:  rusufdavi replied 1 year ago.

I can give you only a part of the past autction sales results used. The reason is that I use a private database to see the results, this database is not open. Basically, I pay a monthly fee to gain access to this information. Any way, here is a part of the list of past auction sales used:

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/359654720213029552/

http://www.ebay.com/itm/vintage-koa-headboard-for-bed-hawaiian-furniture-hawaii-/351393426587

http://www.ebay.com/itm/vintage-koa-wood-vanity-hawaii-hawaiian-furniture-/360122453872

About the picture, as soon as you upload it, I can review it