Judith-on-Antiques
Judith-on-Antiques, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  A noted expert, author, TV personality, appraiser and columnist. President, Association of Online Appraisers
57035021

Have a violin with a note pasted inside that says: Nicolaus

Customer Question

Have a violin with a note pasted inside that says: Nicolaus Amatus fecit
in Cremona 1696
Does it have any value? The note is all printed except the last two digits 96. It has been in the family since the 1930's.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Judith-on-Antiques replied 1 year ago.

HI,

My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with this question.

Your violin is a workshop copy of an Amati model, made in a factory in Germany around the turn of the 20th century. These were made for export, and are still considered goo student instruments today (not for concert performers). If your violin is in very good condition with very good tone, its current retail (replacement or insurance) value is approximately $1000. If you were to sell it, you could expect to get the fair market (private sale or auction) value of 40% of the retail amount, or approximately $400, depending on location and actual condition.

I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

If you have any further questions or problems concerning your answer, please reply to me before deciding to leave a negative rating, which does affect my job.

If you would like to work with me on further questions you might have, it would be a pleasure to work with you again. All you have to do is put my name (Judith) at the beginning of your question.

Please keep in mind I am only compensated by the site for my answer if you rate me positively.

You do that immediately following this answer by clicking one of the top two Smiles, or Stars depending which one you see on your answer.

Thank you so much!

I am just checking in to see if you have any additional questions about your item?

Please note that experts here are not employees of justanswer.com; experts are verified users. I need your favorable rating.