rusufdavi
rusufdavi, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques and collectibles
73504548

Original Rolf Armstrong pastel. 1920's. Woman in mirror with

Customer Question

Original Rolf Armstrong pastel. 1920's. Woman in mirror with black hair. I believe the model was his favorite. Armstrong ended-up adopting her. I got the pastel at a estate sale. The estate was actually from a personal friend of Rolf Armstrong.Who lived south of Mpls.. Armstrong lived in Mn. For many years . Then in Hawaii, where he then died. He had many famous friends. I know it is original by the touch. I have worked with pastels in the past.
Are you able to help me out? I do not trust the folk's I have talked to so far.
Thank you, Linda.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rusufdavi replied 1 year ago.

Hello Linda

Thank you for making your question to JustAnswer. My name is*****'m an Antiques Expert and I will try to help you with your particular inquiry. Please, don't hesitate to contact me any time or to make follow up questions if needed.

Could you provide the size of the pastel painting?

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
12x19. The previous owner cut it so to fit into an old frame. The FULL picture is intact. It includes a very large Rolf Armstrong signature. I have seen quite a few of his pastels on-line. The one that own is hard to find. I believe it may be a "prototype",or maybe my guy from the estate sale was "near" while Armstrong was painting. It is for sure an original. I don't know if he painted it prior to, or after the final Pastel. I can try to send you a pic.. Not too handy knowing how. I am getting nervous because it is starting to show some of the "powdery" stuff. It was not kept very well. Hence the old, limp frame it was in. Thank you again, Linda.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Robert, no I have not rec'd an answer as of 7:30 C time. Do you need more info.?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't submit any comments yet. But the site keeps asking me to. Are you sending answer by my email? Why is my $ balance paid already? I believe the down payment ($5) was to be pd up front, and the balance ($33) was due after I rec'd my answer. The site is telling me my free time started already. Am I doing something wrong?
Expert:  rusufdavi replied 1 year ago.

Rolf Armstrong
1889-1960

Regarding the value of your item, I have just perform a market research of similar sold items as yours. I performed the research based upon the most recent finished auctions and private sells, so the value given is the real market value of your item. This is the only way to know the exact value of your unit.

The value will be in the range of 25,000-35,000$.

I would recommend to sell your unit through a direct sell, but in your case it would be much better to sell through a big auction house. I would contact both Christies, Bonhams or Sothebys, they have a good record on past auction sales of Rolf Armstrong. You will have o pay the auction house fee, around a 20-30% of the final auction price, but it will be worth it.

Please, use the stars to rate my answer or let me know if I can help you any further!

Expert:  rusufdavi replied 1 year ago.

Please, your rating is required to finish. Kindly use the star system located upwards to rate my answer!

Thanks