rarewares
rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

What is value of US flag that was at Massacre at Wounded

Customer Question

What is value of US flag that was at Massacre at Wounded Knee
Category: Antiques
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Best phone number to call me is(###) ###-####
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
US flag given to Capt. Edward Harrah (Company A, 38th Infantry Division)
by Brigadier General / Colonel Ulysses Grant McAlexander• Battle of Wounded Knee, American Indian Wars, December 1890
• Santiago Campaign, Cuba, Spanish-American War, June – July, 1898
• Second Battle of the Marne, France, WW 1, July - August, 1918
• Meuse-Argonne Offensive, France, WW 1, September – November, 1918
Expert:  Wayne replied 1 year ago.

Do you have any documentation with this flag like a letter from McAlexander or Harrah referring tothe flag?

Can you post a photo of this?
1.
Click the paperclip icon
2.
Click the Browse icon
3.
Click the Browse button
4.
Select your file and click Open
5.
Click OK
6.
Click Insert
7.
Click Save Changes on this page

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-0

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am unable to open my email with answer. Please call me at 609-xxx-xxxx soon. Thanks, ***** *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Assuming that flag is in good condition, and is authentic, what is approximate value?
Expert:  Wayne replied 1 year ago.

How many stars are on this flag?

Thanks,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I believe there are 44 stars on this flag (I can recount number later when I am back at home). This was given to my grandfather Capt. Edward Harrah (Company A, 38th Infantry Division) by Brigadier General / Colonel Ulysses Grant McAlexander. My grandfather served in WW1 under his command, then was an assistant to McAlexander later. My father David Harrah passed the details of this flag to me as told to him by his father. Please call me at(###) ###-####if you want to discuss live today.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
FYI, I did Google search and found reference in "The Ogden Standard-Examiner" (Ogden, Utah) on page 15 (Issue Date: Sunday, June 3, 1923) stating that Edward Harrah was guest of honor at a reception given by General McAlexander, which is evidence that my grandfather did have close relationship with General McAlexander. Although this by itself does not prove that General McAlexander gave him the US flag which I now own, it is certainly conceivable that he was given this flag by the general. Best regards, ***** *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
FYI, I also did research, using Google and Wikipedia, and found evidence that McAlexander was at Santiago Campaign (Cuba, Spanish-American War, 1898), Second Battle of the Marne (France, WW 1, 1918), and Meuse-Argonne Offensive (France, WW 1, 1918). Best regards, *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please send estimated value of this flag to my personal email address: ***@******.*** Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please send me confirmation today that response will be sent to my personal email***@******.***. Thanks. *****
Expert:  Wayne replied 1 year ago.

I am doing some research on the possible market. I will opt out of this question and open this up to other experts for their opinion in the mean time.

Thank you,

Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.

Your flag, based on recent battle memorabilia prices, would have a value of $2,000.00 to $3,000.00 if you had some provenance (written documentation that it was 1) at this battle and 2) given to your ancestor by the General). It would be good to print these different history points that you have found and add your own letter about how you obtained the flag and always keep that paper work with the flag.

If the flag had no battle relevance and was an 1890 44-star antique flag, it would have a value of $480- $575.00.

Please do click the stars to rate me and to close the question.