Frank
Frank, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Expert in gold, silver, jewelry and American antiquities.
66811035

I'm looking to get an appraisal on a Victorian settee, circa

Customer Question

I'm looking to get an appraisal on a Victorian settee, circa 1880. It's 31 inches high, 47 inches long, 20 inches front to back. Beautiful wood carvings that have been picked out with gilt work.it has a downward curving rail, turned legs on castors, padded supports, and a button back
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Frank replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome to Just Answer,

My name is***** am a Personal Property Appraiser and would be happy to assist you with your question.Are there any kind of damages to the settee unseen in the photos? Were you interested in reselling the piece or did you require an appraisal for insurance purposes?Thanks for your time today,Frank
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No damage that I'm aware of, I'm trying to get information for my mother. I have other pictures. She's looking to sell the piece and just wants to make sure she doesn't over/under sell.
Expert:  Frank replied 1 year ago.

Thanks very much for sending over those photos.

So your settee is an example of the Victorian sub style known as the Aesthetic Movement. The Aesthetic movement incorporated art into furniture design that may of the major furniture makers of the era either couldn't fathom or couldn't afford to reproduce. You see numerous one off pieces that came out of the Aesthetic period that was a part of the English Arts and Crafts period in the late 19th century.

The settee has tufted upholstery on a dark carved wood frame, which appears to be walnut.

In excellent condition the Aesthetic movement settee would have a resale value of(###) ###-####SD in what is currently a tough market for Victorian antique furniture.

In a retail antique shop you may see the settee for as much as 2000-2400USD based on the location as well as the regional demand.

I hope this information was helpful to you today.

Best of luck with your antique settee .

Any feedback you can leave for my service would be much appreciated.

Thank You,

Frank

Please let me know if you have any difficulties with our rating system.

Expert:  Frank replied 1 year ago.
Good Afternoon,I wanted to follow up with you on your question. I hope the information I left for you was helpful in your research.If you can accept my answer and leave feedback for my service it would be very much appreciated, as this is how I am credited for my time with the company.If you have any future questions, I would be happy to help with any antiques or collectibles you may need information for. Thank you for your time,Frank