AppraiserJM
AppraiserJM, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Certified Appraiser, Appraiser's Association of America. USPAP qualified through 2015.
30223878

I have an old Deere sign. 2 sided porcelain, runs vertical,

Customer Question

I have an old John Deere sign. 2 sided porcelain, runs vertical, and is black, red, yellow. It says John Deere farm equipment. Looks exactly like the one that sold for $32,000. How do I go about having it appraised to sell it?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  AppraiserJM replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is*****'m a certified appraiser and I'd be happy to help.

Can I ask where you saw one that sold for $32,000? I've seen this sign before but certainly not at that level.

Also, is the sign maker marked anywhere on the sign? Usually in small type in the margin/edge.

Jennifer

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
First of all....I'm pretty pist off that I was charged $35 WITHOUT reading your answer first!!!! It was all fuzzy and had just decided to have an appraiser actually come look at it! It said I had to click the button and agree to terms to see your answer, I only did that when I seen I was already charged. There are no markers on it, or I would've been able to look it up. The same sign (in perfect condition) sold for $32,000 at an auction in Illinois. I Googled " John Deere sign that sold for $32,000", and it brought me to the page of a picture of it, along with a conversation that a couple informed men were having about it. So.....I really hope YOU can give ME answers, as you do claim to be the professionals!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry.....I didn't see that they were sending. I'm using my phone.

Thank you.

Unfortunately, that is an unverified claim. I have access to the actual auction records (through all those paid professional servers) and there is no record of a John Deere sign selling at that price level. It's possible one may have been offered on eBay at that price, but eBay asking prices are not used for value--most of them aren't achieved or verified.

This sign dates from the 1930s. The highest auction price for a similar sign to yours was actually $9,500. However, that example was in somewhat better condition as it had been professionally restored. Another sold for $7,250, and all other verified sales were under $5000.

The expected resale on your sign, in its current condition, would be in the range of $6,000-$7,500.

I'm sorry if that unverified, and untruthful, eBay claim led you to a higher expectation. Here at JustAnswer we are constantly handling the disappointment of people who believed untruthful eBay claims or wishful "asking prices" on eBay.

Sincerely,

Jennifer