AppraiserJM
AppraiserJM, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Certified Appraiser, Appraiser's Association of America. USPAP qualified through 2015.
30223878

Antique chin dynasty incense burner

Customer Question

antique chin dynasty incense burner
Category: Antiques
Expert:  AppraiserJM replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is*****'m a certified appraiser, and I'd be happy to help.

What is the central material of the burner?

Are there any marks or stamps on it?

What makes you date it to the Qin dynasty (221-206BC)? Do you mean Qing dynasty (1644-1912)?

Jennifer

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
stamps on the in and outside don't know what its made of and a person that know how to read chines said it was from the chin dynasty if you text me I can send more pics of it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can I text you more pictures

Sure, you can upload more photos using the paperclip icon above your toolbar. If that won't work, email them to***@******.*** and make sure they forward them to AppraiserJM.

1. There is no "Chin" dynasty, only Qin or Qing.

2. Chinese artisans consistently stamp, sign, or mark items with much earlier dates or with the names of other artists. They are also masters at otherwise aging items, mimicking famous styles, etc. What we would consider forgery, is not frowned upon in China. It's considered a legitimate activity. This piece is clearly from the 20th century. It could possibly be very late Qing dynasty, but it's probably post-dynastic and from the Republic era.

Please upload more photos and I"m happy to review.

Sincerely,

Jennifer