Doris - dfm925
Doris - dfm925, Pres, Owner Nashville Appraisals Corporation
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of Nashville Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

I have an Algot Stenbery silk screen titled "Willows". Not

Customer Question

I have an Algot Stenbery silk screen titled "Willows". Not familiar with silk screen. Would you be able to tell me anything about this item.....and possibly its worth?
Thank you.
Bert
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.
Please know that I cannot accept any requests for "live conversations" such as
phone calls. I must research your question to give the most accurate answer.
I cannot talk and do the proper research at the same time.
Besides the site charges you extra for live conversations.
If you see a rate me message and I have not given you an answer with the value,
you are not to rate anything.
Again, ignore any rate me messages until you see my answer with the value.
Might the artist's be Algot Stenberg?
Kind regards,
Doris
You are correct. The artist's name is***** apologize for my confusion.
Thank you for all the information.
Please allow me time to research your question, calculate current values and write my answer.
I thank you in advance for your patience.
Kind regards,
Doris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Doris,
Mr. Stenberg, I believe was a genealogist and not born in the USA. Mr. Stenbery was Born April 24, 1902, Cambridge, Mass. Studied at Hardford Art School, Boston Museum Art School, Art Students League. Exhibited: Many New York Galleries including one man show at Walker Galleries in 1938 and in traveling shows. represented in private collections. Taught drawing and painting at Cooper Union seven years. Murals in Wayne, Michigan Post Office and Social Room at Harlem Housing Project. What other research would you want me to do?
Thank you for that information.
I have been researching Algot Stenbery as you requested.
Kind regards,
Doris
What are the dimensions of your silk screen not including the frame?
Kind regards,
Doris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's framed
Picture size 16 x 20 inches
mat size 22 x 26 inches
Thank you for that information.
Basically silk screening is the process of applying color using stencils.
Screen printing was first used in China about(###) ###-####AD.
Wikipedia definition of silk-screen works -
"Screen printing is a printing technique whereby a mesh is used to transfer ink onto a substrate, except in areas made impermeable to the ink by a blocking stencil. A blade or squeegee is moved across the screen to fill the open mesh apertures with ink, and a reverse stroke then causes the screen to touch the substrate momentarily along a line of contact. This causes the ink to wet the substrate and be pulled out of the mesh apertures as the screen springs back after the blade has passed.
Basically, it is the process of using a mesh-based stencil to apply ink onto a substrate, whether it be T-shirts, posters, stickers, vinyl, wood, or other material.
Screen printing is also a stencil method of print making in which a design is imposed on a screen of polyester or other fine mesh, with blank areas coated with an impermeable substance. Ink is forced into the mesh openings by the fill blade or squeegee and by wetting the substrate, transferred onto the printing surface during the squeegee stroke. As the screen rebounds away from the substrate the ink remains on the substrate. It is also known as silk-screen, screen, serigraphy, and serigraph printing. One color is printed at a time, so several screens can be used to produce a multicoloured image or design."
Algot Stenbery was born Algot Stenberg. He changed his name to Stenbery when he left Hartford.
You seem to know quite a bit about Algot Stenbery: but, just in case. I will the include this -
Following is a biography based on information provided by Diane Schaefer, a collector of Portsmouth, New Hampshire, who got the data from the widow of the artist.
"Born in Cambridge, Massachusetts, Algot Stenbery, teacher and book illustrator, preferred the media of oil and gouache. As a teacher he was an instructor of drawing and painting at Cooper Union, New York, American Artists School, New York.
His book illustrations include the New British edition of "Grapes of Wrath" by John Steinbeck, "Time to Remember" by Lloyd Douglas, "The Giant" by Edna Ferber, "Seven Steeples" by Margaret Henrichsen, "The Sojourner" by Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings, "Autumn's Brightness" by Daisy Newman, "Troubling of a Star" by Walt Sheldon, "The Far Country" by Nevil Shute, "The Bridges at Toko-ri" by James A. Michener, "Little Britches " by Ralph Moody and many others.
He took his art training at the Hartford Art School with Albertus E. Jones, the Boston Museum Art School with Frederick Bosley and the Art Student's League of New York, with Kimon Nicolaides.
During his career he filled painting commissions for the American Sugar Refining Company; Post Office, Wayne, Michigan; Chrysler Building, New York; North German Lloyd Line MS Europa; and the Harlem Housing Project.
Exhibitions include: One-man show at Walker Gallery, New York and in group exhibitions at Metropolitan Museum of Art, Brooklyn Museum of Art, Whitney Museum, American Watercolor Society, National Society of Casein Painters, New School for Social Research, Salmagundi Club, Roerich Museum, Jacques Seligman Gallery, Architectural League of New York, Gimbel Galleries in Philadelphia and principal museums and galleries throughout the U.S. and Canada. A one-man show was at the Propersi Gallery, Greenwich, Connecticut."
When assessing an artist's work, appraisers must look at sales of works by the same artist. Art gallery sales prices are private.
We must then go to auction sales prices which are public. When using comparable work by the same artist, medium, subject matter and size are factors to be considered.
Appraisers most often use price per square inch of previously sold comparable works by the same artist as a measure of value.
Using this method, I determined that your "Willows" silk screen print would have a retail art gallery value of $700-800 assuming excellent condition.
The internet has your widest pool of buyers. To sell close to retail try the following -
I suggest the you try artbrokerage.com selling
https://www.artbrokerage.com/help/selling-art
Plus try ads on sites such as
http://www.rubylane.com/art
http://www.askart.com/Ads_Individual.aspx
Some like Etsy.com where you can set up your store for free and the selling fees are small or non-existant.
A private seller to a dealer can expect 40-60% of retail value.
I hope I have helped you.
If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.
All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.
I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.
If you would like to work with me on future questions, I would be pleased to work with you.
All you have to do is put my name (Doris) at the beginning of your question.
Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING now so that I am compensated by JA for my time and effort. This is of no cost to you.
Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty, site charges or current appraisal values - all three are beyond my control.
Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.
Kind regards.
Doris
Hi there!
I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?
Let me know,
Doris