Frank
Frank, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Expert in gold, silver, jewelry and American antiquities.
66811035

I bought two chairs from an estate sale. The chairs were

Customer Question

Hi. I bought two chairs from an estate sale. The chairs were sitting in the basement for possibly 30 years. They smelled horrid so we took off the fabric and inside it was filled with horse hair and like a virgin cotton. We realized that these chairs may be very old. The nails or screws also look to be extremely old. I was going to reupholster them but if they are worth money I don't want to ruin them. I would consider selling but have no idea how to tell if they are worth anything. Can you help me figure out if they are worth anything?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Frank replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome to Just Answer,

My name is***** am a Personal Property Appraiser and would be happy to assist you with your question.Your pair of antique dark stained oak chairs would have been produced circa 1900. The chairs have an acanthus carving in the back support just below the upholstered back and carved paw feet. In the current market as they sit they would value at around 20-25USD each. Cleaned up and reupholstered you would be looking at closer to 75-85USD per chair assuming there were no structural damages to the seats or the back legs.

I hope this information was helpful to you today.

Best of luck with your antique arm chairs .

Any feedback you can leave for my service would be much appreciated.

Thank You,

Frank

Please let me know if you have any difficulties with our rating system.