Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

Is there an app to identify markings on a porcelain nged

Customer Question

Is there an app to identify markings on a porcelain hinged decorative box? Oval shaped, with a Wyeth look landscape on the top.lid and bottom are smooth but slightly concave, approx 2" wide by 1" long.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.
My name is Glenda,
I will be glad to help you today.
No, there is no app for that. If you can send a picture of the marking, I can see if it is listed in the antique books of marks.
Glenda
It is very important to be able to see what the customer has in order to give a correct informed value!
.
Here are instructions for sending images several ways, you can choose which one best fits you , be sure it is uploaded to your computer,
.
If you do not see the blue button that states attach file at the bottom of your page here are instructions to upload images !
Click the link: for instructions on uploading images
http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert
.
Or you may use this method:
.
Go to www.imgur.com
.
click on Computer
.
Select the picture file from the box that pops up.
.
Hit open.
.
Click on Start Upload
.
And then copy the link they give you (it will look similar to this http://www.imgur.com/xxxx) and paste it here.
.
.
.
.
.
This a completely free photo hosting site, it does not cost one thing to use it.
http://www.photobucket.com/ it is very easy to use, you log in, create an account , make a user name, do not use an email address as user name , then upload your pictures, making them public, then come give me your user name, I have an account and can log into them and see them...
.
Or:Send them like this: In an Email! This can take awhile depending on how busy they are at Just answer, they do forward them to me.
.
.
Send the picture to ,***@******.***, in the subject line put " Pictures for Glenda B in Antiques".
.
In the body of the message put , your user name and name.
.
Make sure to send these from the same address that you registered with just answer with , so they know who you are. If you send from a phone the email address on the phone you use has to match the email address you used to register on the justanswer site with.
.
.
Sometimes it can take over 24hrs, depending on how busy the site is. We the appraisers are not employees of the Just Answer site, we come to the site to answer questions, we do not work there. They get photos in from customers, they then send them to the correct departments ( categories, ) then they are forwarded to the appraisers. I have no control over how fast all of this happens. I will let you know as soon as they send them to me.
Glenda
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The image of the marking is attached.
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.
.
Note: I am unable to do live conversation per phone.
There is data that needs to be obtained, this is always best in written form, in order to give a correct, honest appraisal
I will see if I can find a listing for a maker or artist that used this mark.
Glenda
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** do not expect a phone call. Was there an issue with my email providing the photo of the marking?
Lisa
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello
No, there wasn't. You must have gotten an email from the Just Answer site. Just to let you know the appraisers are not employees of the Just Answer site we do not work for them. We come to the site to answer questions that customers post to the site. The only I can communicate with you is in this message area, never by email.
I did not send a message wanting you to sign up for more money in order to get a phone call. I actually prefer written conversation so I have all the information handy to go back to.
.
I have not found who marked the box with those initials, I did find that in the early part of the 20th C these boxes could be purchased in shops in Limoges France, people would purchase them and then hand paint whatever it was they liked. The ones who did this of course could paint, and some very well, like yours. I am sure this is what your box, is a purchased piece that was hand painted by an unknown artist.
It can be valued as a Hand Painted Porcelain Trinket, signed by artist. If you like?