rarewares
rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

I have a 12X18 silver plate tray that my parents got when

Customer Question

I have a 12X18 silver plate tray that my parents got when they married in 1935. It has a mark on back that says International Silver with the number 8166. Above that in italics
is the word TROPICAL.
In the middle of the tray is a woman with fruit on her head and dressed in long dress. (a la Carman Miranda). It is very Art Deco and slightly curved on sides with impressions (indentations) around figure. Very unusual.
Peggy Vineyard (###) ###-####***@******.***
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.

Hello Peggy,

This is the 1930's Tropical pattern by International Silver made in silver plate, meaning it is a base metal of copper, nickel and zinc and was dipped in a thin wash of silver. Silver plated items are not valuable enough to re-plate. It would only be worth doing if it were STERLING silver, which is 92.5% silver throughout. This tray has a value of $50.00 currently and re-plating it would not change that value and I would hate to see you waste your money.

Please do click the stars to rate and to close the question.

Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.

I see that you have read my answer.

Let's close this question by having you click the stars. If you'd like to have me assess anything else, start a new question and put 'for rarewares' so that you could get me again.