Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I 't know how you would classify this piece. My grandmother

Customer Question

I don't know how you would classify this piece. My grandmother visited China on a number of occasions when she was still living. She passed away about 8 yrs ago but has a lot of stuff that appears to be valuable but my brother and myself know nothing of oriental art work. I'll attach a picture and hopefully you can see that in some parts of this "painting" some of the parts of the print are raised, such as around the head area and a few other places that may be tough to see. I'll will try to get a picture that shows the raised parts of the print. Thanks so much for your help. Drew
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.
My name is Glenda,
I will be glad to help you today.
I know the appraisers price seems high but, that is actually a good price. Most appraisers charge around 200.00 per hour, with a minimum of an hour to start. You mention this being a print, then you mention it being a painting. Is this a Painting on Silk ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Truthfully, I don't know enough about art to answer that. It feels like it's on some sort of canvas. I don't know if the first picture I sent came through, but do you think another picture could give you a better Idea as to what we are dealing with? I went ahead and attached a few pictures to see if this will possibly give you a better idea. I wouldn't know what to refer to it as, simply bc of the raised parts that are on this piece of "artwork." I appreciate your help and look forward to your response.
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello
I need you to check something for me, take a magnifying glass and see if you see any indications of a printer, there will be dots, or hatch marks etc if this is a print made from a printer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Let me check ...any specific place I should look?
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello
All over the picture, if this is a lithograph that was printed on a machine there will be evidence of it, like dots, dashes, hatch marks etc.
If painted it will have brush strokes where they applied their paint.