rarewares
rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

I have a dime silver antigue locket dating (based on part of

Customer Question

I have a dime silver antigue locket dating (based on part of marking on back..anchor, lion and letter M; last marking hard to see); date: 1784. It has a pierced design with flowers, an oak leaf and wheat. A friend suggested it is a wedding pendant, probably as a gift to a teacher. It was my mother’s. The friend said she had seen only two of them in her experience. Any ideas?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.

This is a sterling silver book chain necklace and pendant made in Birmingham, England in 1886.

(anchor=Birmingham, lion passant=sterling silver, m=1886, faded mark=should the profile of a head and this is a duty stamp)

The book chain necklace was usually a 'gift of love or friendship' piece of Victorian jewelry that was common from the late 1800's into the early 1900's. Most of the book chain necklaces were made of gold or gold filled at first. Silver from Birmingham became popular when Queen Victoria was seen wearing a few silver pieces. The pendant is in the aesthetic style of the 1880's with engraved floral designs; oak for strength, wheat for abundance and the flowers even had some symbolism by type. Sometimes the pendant was also a locket that held photos or memorial snippets of hair of a passed loved one. This piece has a value of $750 us dollars.

Please do click the stars to rate as this is how the site compensates me for my time on your question.