Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  Bachelor of Arts Degree (summa cum laude); 10+ years exp.
48688175

I am looking to purchase a German shrunk from a co worker. I

Customer Question

I am looking to purchase a German shrunk from a co worker. I have a photo. I'm wondering what a good price would be to offer her for it and also if you have any idea as to its age.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Diana F. replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is Diana.

Please keep in mind that even though a rating box may pop up, there's no need to rate me until I give you an answer.

I wondering if you'd still like help with your friend's German shrunk. Did she happen to tell if you if it has any marks or labels on it?

~Diana

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All she knows is she bought it from a woman whose son had brought it back from Germany in the early 1970s. There are no marking.
Expert:  Diana F. replied 1 year ago.

It's a beautiful piece. These were a sort of multi cabinet and would house anything from clothes to kitchen items. Today most people use them as a sort of hutch or buffet, though I've seen some great re-purposing to wall units.

It looks to have low legs, rounded edges, simple pulls and what looks like a simple grain wood and if I'm not mistaken the doors are sort of rounded toward the sides. It looks like an art deco piece which would put the date around the 1930s / early 1940s.. A midcentury modern piece would generally have short pointy legs and would have use sliding compartments and doors. Pieces coming out of the deco period were more sleek and curved. If you're lucky you may find a matching or at similar armoire.

These pieces generally don't bring what they used to. Sadly, most big pieces of furniture don't because many either don't have the space or tend to go for more of the more modern, simple look. For a piece like that it's actually worth about $800 to $1000. I'm not sure what you were looking toward paying her, but a fair price would be around $400 to $600. That gives you both some negotiating room and help you to know what it's actually worth.

If you have any questions or need any other help, please let me know.

Please keep in mind I am only credited for my answer if you rate me positively. If you feel the need to use a lower rating which adds a negative mark to my profile or if you have any further questions about your item please feel free to reply to me and tell me what else I can do for you.

.

If you would like to use me on any further questions. Requesting me expires in just a short time. If you put my name (DianaF) in the question, that will make sure it gets to me.
.
I look forward to working with you again.
.
Have a great night.
~Diana