rarewares
rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

Before leaving Korea at the end of the war, my father

Customer Question

Before leaving Korea at the end of the war, my father purchased a set of bowls to bring home. The large bowl is approximately 10 inches in diameter with 6 smaller bowls measuring 5 inches. He was told they were made from Agate. They are dark blue at the
rim, then a ring of mauve, a ring of dark green and then yellow and orange/yellow center that light passes through. Did they make glassware from Agate and is it worth anything? I have emailed you a picture of one of the smaller bowls.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.

Yes, Korea did produce bowls made of agate, which is a stone with different colors and striations in it. It is also somewhat translucent if carved vert thin. Please add photos so that I can assess what you have more accurately.

Use the paper clip icon or add files button to add pictures. These features work best on a desktop computer.

Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.
This bowl is not agate, it is glass and not stone. There was a US company in the 1930's to 1950's named Akro Agate that made swirl and slag glass that looked a bit similar to this piece, but I am not convinced that this piece is Akro Agate either. I am going to have to opt-out of this question and let someone else jump in with their opinion. My apologies.