Judith-on-Antiques
Judith-on-Antiques, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  A noted expert, author, TV personality, appraiser and columnist. President, Association of Online Appraisers. Author of 3 books on collecting.
57035021

I inherited, back when I was a teenager, (and I turned 70

Customer Question

I inherited, back when I was a teenager, (and I turned 70 years old yesterday)
The Complete Domestic Bible published in 1878 from my great aunts, who died at
93 and 99 years old. Despite its impressively thick, tooled leather binding, with gilt inlay, I am presuming that the volume itself would not generate much interest in the open market if I were willing to sell it. But I am most interested, because family records were never kept in the pages dedicated to that endeavor, in the illustrations which are etchings printed in black and white which are quite remarkable in their detail and full of "active" images which would have certainly captured the imagination in 1878 and have also engaged me. In the lower left hand corner of each image, every single one, is a signature which reads either G. or J. Bore with the French accent / over the last e. Am I correct in presuming that is the artist's name? Or might that be the printer? The lower right contains various names in different styles...so those might be the artists, eh? Jonnard, Quarlley, Pannemaker, Bahrant, and Friston, predominate.
Artwork was printed on thicker paper and has survived the aging process in better shape than the printed pages of text. 9" x 12" format. Any suggestions about value, as a
volume or as individual prints of the illustrations??? Thank you so much, in advance!
Leslie S. Simonson
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Judith-on-Antiques replied 1 year ago.

Hello Leslie,

My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you with this question.

Happy Birthday!

Can you tell me the condition of this book, please? Any flaws?

One more question: Could that signature be G. Dore instead of Bore?