Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

We have a pair of ca. 1.25 X 11.5 X 61" hand carved teak

Customer Question

We have a pair of ca. 1.25 X 11.5 X 61" hand carved teak doors from Tibet. 200 to 2000 yrs old?
No provenance.
value?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
My name is Nora.
At your convenience, please send more, larger size photos and details of these doors.
There may be an +Add Files button or if there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing above the box where you type in responses, then follow the steps on this link for sharing photos:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert
I look forward to seeing the images. If you are unable to send photos right away, that is fine – there is not a time limit here.
Sincerely,
Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nora,Tried to send larger photos - your site said to large. Tried to add photos, but that did not work. Will try again. Obviously the doors are not Chinese fakes :}
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tried to add files again, but the "send" button does not seem to work. I could email large files to you directly if I had an email address. Maybe they are added now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK had to send a message along with them I see :}
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Trying to send a high res. I can make #1,2 & 4 larger if you like.
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
May I know how these came about being attributed to being from Tibet?
~Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A family friend had them on her wall. Gave them to us when see moved to a smaller home. She said they were given to her by a friend who said they had purchased them in Tibet during a trip to Tibet.Hard to see but it looked like the original owner had a dog (?) who scratched on the inside to get out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Her parents ran an import/export for Japan for decades. She probably received these in the '60 or so.Story is 3rd hand, bur she collected Erte art & other fine art for decades.
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi~
I will opt-out and open your question again to all the experts. If someone knows the answer they will post a response to you here. You do not need to re-list your question and this does not cost you extra.
I will not be able to respond back after opting-out.
I do hope you find the information that you seek.
Sincerely,
Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If you think it is worth it we can lady who gave them to us for (perhaps) more detail on provenance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Actually a tip to Northern India - by early 60's there was no more Tibet (?) So perhaps over the border to what was Tibet.