rarewares
rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

We are trying to determine the maker of a set of china. It's

Customer Question

We are trying to determine the maker of a set of china. It's not thin but when held up to the light you can see the pattern through the back The mark is a follows. It is light blue and white in color. Top of mark says FIELD (believe this is pattern as it has flowers and raspberries and it is a delicate pattern) Under this is a type of shield shape with a flat top. There are three tiny rectangular boxes across the top, the shield has an inverted V across the center. The shield is white. The top and bottom portions are light blue. the top has two figures (?) one on the right one on the left. The bottom has one figure in the center at the point of the bottom of the shield. The figure could be anything - it is like a pillar maybe a distorted pawn. Under the shield it says Made In Japan. The mark on the dinner plate is about 3/4" tall by just shy of 3/8ths wide.
Am I correct in thinking that prewar read made in Japan and post war read made in occupied Japan?.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.

Please add a photo of one piece and the marks on the back. You can do this by using the paper clip icon or ADD FILES button. These features work best on a desktop.

As to the Japan mark. Porcelain will read Japan or Made in Japan for any time period EXCEPT for the years of 1947 through 1952 when the American troops were occupying the Japanese territories; in this case the mark OCCUPIED JAPAN is used.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm unable to send photo.
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.

I will have to opt-out. I cannot know this mark based on a written description without a photo. Another expert will step in to help.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If a photo will be required there is no need to forward it to anyone else. will track it down eventually.
Hope my $$ can be refunded - thank you