rarewares
rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

I have a bronze 12X7 woman on an eagle with a consisting of

Customer Question

I have a bronze 12X7 woman on an eagle with a mark consisting of a circle surrounded by the words reduction sauvage. In the center of the circle is a 6 pointed star outside of the circle and to the right is an E. Can you tell me anything about the markings. This piece has exquisite detail.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.

Please add a photo of the piece and the marks you have described. You can do this by using the paper clip icon or the ADD FILES button. These features work best on a desktop computer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
here are the 5 pictures of the statue. please let me know the history, who's mark it is and it's approximate value. i am interested in selling it.
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.

I will need a photo of the mark that you described, that is most important.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
here is the mark i described. thank you for your help.
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.
This is a circa 1910 reproduction sculpture that was originally created by Louis Buhot (French, 1815-1865). This piece is entitled Hebe and the Eagle of Jupiter.
Reduction Sauvage was not a company, but a process marked on French scale reproduction bronze sculptures. Reduction Sauvage means the reduction of a statue, a process created by Frederic Sauvage 1786-1857, who was not a sculptor but an inventor and had a patent in May 1836 for a machine suitable to reduce any sculpture work. This patent is viewable on the site of the french National Institute for Industrial Property (Institut National de la Propriété Industrielle). The foundry of the piece is unknown in this case, there were many using this process at the time. Most notable were Susse Freres and Barbedienne, but this is not their mark so it was a smaller, lesser known foundry.
This piece has a value of $2400.00 us dollars.
Please click the stars to rate.