Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  40+ yrs. Experience, 40+yrs.Dealer buying/selling antiques.14+ yrs. Antique Store Owner. Member of AOA, AADA. Advanced studies in Antiques at University of Arkansas at Little Rock.
53729464

I have a metal lined chest or trunk measuring 38" w by 20.5"

Customer Question

I have a metal lined chest or trunk measuring 38" w by 20.5" deep by 21" tall. It is made of heavy exposed wood with metal covering the corners and edges. It has recessed handles on each side and dual key locks. When opened, it locks in the open position. I'm interested in dating this chest and would appreciate your input. I'm happy to send photos.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.
My name is Glenda,
I will be glad to help you today.
It is very important to be able to see what the customer has in order to give a correct informed value!
.
Here are instructions for sending images several ways, you can choose which one best fits you , be sure it is uploaded to your computer,
.
If you do not see the blue button that states attach file at the bottom of your page here are instructions to upload images !
Click the link: for instructions on uploading images
http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert
.
Or you may use this method:
.
Go to www.imgur.com
.
click on Computer
.
Select the picture file from the box that pops up.
.
Hit open.
.
Click on Start Upload
.
And then copy the link they give you (it will look similar to this http://www.imgur.com/xxxx) and paste it here.
.
.
.
.
.
This a completely free photo hosting site, it does not cost one thing to use it.
http://www.photobucket.com/ it is very easy to use, you log in, create an account , make a user name, do not use an email address as user name , then upload your pictures, making them public, then come give me your user name, I have an account and can log into them and see them...
.
Or:Send them like this: In an Email! This can take awhile depending on how busy they are at Just answer, they do forward them to me.
.
.
Send the picture to ,***@******.***, in the subject line put " Pictures for Glenda B in Antiques".
.
In the body of the message put , your user name and name.
.
Make sure to send these from the same address that you registered with just answer with , so they know who you are. If you send from a phone the email address on the phone you use has to match the email address you used to register on the justanswer site with.
.
.
Sometimes it can take over 24hrs, depending on how busy the site is. We the appraisers are not employees of the Just Answer site, we come to the site to answer questions, we do not work there. They get photos in from customers, they then send them to the correct departments ( categories, ) then they are forwarded to the appraisers. I have no control over how fast all of this happens. I will let you know as soon as they send them to me.
Glenda
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Glenda -
Thank you for getting back to me. I've attached some photos of the trunk. Again, I'm interested in how old this trunk is (not it's worth). I've tried to include details in the photos of hardware that might help in dating the item (maybe the script style on the front might help as well?). In looking at the photos, I noticed a stamp in the metal bearing some words (see photo #2). I'll have to re-shoot this detail when I have access to the trunk this weekend.I'm interested in dating this item for genealogical reasons.Thanks again, Carl.
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello
What is the makers name, it is stamped on the inside I saw a little of it but, could not make it all out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll have to re-shoot the maker's stamp when I have access to the trunk this weekend. I only noticed it after I shot the pictures. From what I can see, it says "UTRECHT" and "Burger"?
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** really help.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The stamp says
JE MAINTIENDRAI
A.D. HAMBURGER
UTRECHT
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello

I find Utrecht is the capital and most populous city in the Dutch province of Utrecht. I also found that JE MAINTIENDRAI A.D. means: http://www.friesian.com/ross/orange.htm

I am trying to find why this is stamped on this like it is the manufacturer.