Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

During WWII, my father, who was too old to serve, got a job

Customer Question

During WWII, my father, who was too old to serve, got a job as a civilian at Camp Hale, Pando, CO, as a construction foreman who over saw the tearing down of part of the barricks and then the rebuilding.
Dad was hired for the job not only for his knowledge of construction but also his ability to speak German. You see, the construction crew was made up of German prisoners of war.
My fathers work in Colorado happened many years before my birth but from time to time he would talk about it with we, his children especially about one of his charges who asked my father to sponsor him so that he could come back to the States after the war.
Dad died over thirty years ago but mom held on to much of his old items which brings me to my question.
While clearing out mom's house, I came across a drawing of the entire camp. It is on a parchment type paper that was rolled up and placed in a tube for safe keeping. The drawing is about 2x6 feet and is quite detailed showing barricks, mess areas, officers quarters and much more.
Just a bit more back story re: Pando, CO, which was at Leadville, CO; this is where the 10th Mountain Brigade trained to parachute in, on skis, so that they could be dropped into the Alps of Northern Italy and cut off the German retreat as the Allied Forces marched north from Southern Italy.
Do you think my drawing is of any value?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.
My name is Glenda,
I will be glad to help you today.
.
It is very important to be able to see what the customer has in order to give a correct informed value!
.
Here are instructions for sending images several ways, you can choose which one best fits you , be sure it is uploaded to your computer,
.
If you do not see the blue button that states attach file at the bottom of your page here are instructions to upload images !
Click the link: for instructions on uploading images
http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert
.
Or you may use this method:
.
Go to www.imgur.com
.
click on Computer
.
Select the picture file from the box that pops up.
.
Hit open.
.
Click on Start Upload
.
And then copy the link they give you (it will look similar to this http://www.imgur.com/xxxx) and paste it here.
.
.
.
.
.
This a completely free photo hosting site, it does not cost one thing to use it.
http://www.photobucket.com/ it is very easy to use, you log in, create an account , make a user name, do not use an email address as user name , then upload your pictures, making them public, then come give me your user name, I have an account and can log into them and see them...
.
Or:Send them like this: In an Email! This can take awhile depending on how busy they are at Just answer, they do forward them to me.
.
.
Send the picture to ,***@******.***, in the subject line put " Pictures for Glenda B in Antiques".
.
In the body of the message put , your user name and name.
.
Make sure to send these from the same address that you registered with just answer with , so they know who you are. If you send from a phone the email address on the phone you use has to match the email address you used to register on the justanswer site with.
.
.
Sometimes it can take over 24hrs, depending on how busy the site is. We the appraisers are not employees of the Just Answer site, we come to the site to answer questions, we do not work there. They get photos in from customers, they then send them to the correct departments ( categories, ) then they are forwarded to the appraisers. I have no control over how fast all of this happens. I will let you know as soon as they send them to me.
Glenda