Wayne, Auctioneer
Experience:  40 yrs. experience in antiques, jewelry, coins and paintings - ASA 1985
67223111

I recently bought a piece of art from an antique store that

Customer Question

Hello, I recently bought a piece of art from an antique store that I believe is a sixteenth century Venetian painting. Can you help me evaluate it? I was an art history major and have a good eye and think I know who the artist is but need this verified by an expert.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Wayne replied 1 year ago.
Thank You for your question, my name is***** have been buying and selling Art work since 1970 and can help you with this.
Unfortunately, this is painting is after a painting done by Sebastiano del Piombo a student of Raphael "The Violinist" Inscribed on the ledge MDXVIII.
It was much admired as a Raphael in the nineteenth century. As a student in Rome in the early 1840s, Gérôme painted a copy; perhaps he supplied the painting or a drawing as the model for the lithograph. He certainly suggested its inclusion. The oil was not only admired by Gérôme but was also praised by both Bouguereau and Eugène-Emmanuel Amaury-Duval (1806-1885). Although most of the Sciarra collection was sold in 1898-99, The Violinist is still in the collection in Rome.
Judging by the age of the canvas and paint this was done early 19th century. This is a very nice quality painting and would sell for $2000-3000.
Thank you,
Expert:  Wayne replied 1 year ago.
Is there anything else I can tell you about this? If not please take time to rate my service. This is the way justanswer compensates me for my time and effort without additional cost to you. It was a pleasure working with you.
Thanks,