rusufdavi
rusufdavi, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques and collectibles
73504548

I have two boxes 2 in each of sperm whale oil candle sticks.

Customer Question

I have two boxes 2 in each of sperm whale oil candle sticks. Can you give me an idea of what they are worth or where can I find out?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rusufdavi replied 1 year ago.

Hello

Thank you for making your question to JustAnswer. My name is*****'m an Antiques Expert and I will try to help you with your particular inquiry. Please, don't hesitate to contact me any time or to make follow up questions if needed.

Whale oil was an early New Zealand export. The white spermaceti oil in the head cavity of sperm whales was a valuable commodity, as it could be turned into high-quality candles. They burned with a bright white light and were odourless. A spermaceti candle provided a soft light which was equal to the flame of four other candles and which burned about twice as long as other candles the same size. It surpasses all other candles for its beauty.

Regarding the value of your item, I have just perform a market research of similar sold items as yours. I performed the research based upon the most recent finished auctions and private sells, so the value given is the real market value of your item. This is the only way to know the exact value of your unit.

The value will be in the range of 80-110$ for each box.

Please, use the stars to rate my answer or let me know if I can help you any further!

Expert:  rusufdavi replied 1 year ago.
Please, your rating is required to finish. Kindly use the star system located upwards to rate my answer!
Thanks