Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I have a very early padlock of either Viking or Roman

Customer Question

I have a very early padlock of either Viking or Roman origin. I have both the key and the lock - both in perfect and functional condition. What is the best way to get more information about this item? Thankyou
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

Hi There~

My name is ***** ***** I am here to help with your question.

At your convenience, please send more photos.

There may be an +Add Files button or if there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing above the box where you type in responses, then follow the steps on this link for sharing photos:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert

I look forward to seeing the images. If you are unable to send photos right away, that is fine – there is not a time limit here.

Sincerely,

Nora

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I have added 3 more photos. Thankyou.
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the images.
Please allow me some time to look these over for you.
~Nora
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
May I please know what information you are seeking on this?
Have you seen the information on this link before?
http://www.historicallocks.com/en/site/h/articles/the-history-of-padlocks/viking-era-800-1050/
~Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Nora,I am trying to determine the exact origin of this lock. I had seen a link online which led me to believe that it may be of Viking origin however I am unsure. I have looked at the link and there is one sketch that looks similar but not exactly the same. I have seen some information that indicates very early keys and locks in tact are very rare - IE some have just the rusty key. I am wanting to know the origin; approximate age of this lock.
Thankyou,
Greg
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi Greg,
Determining the exact origin and age is beyond the scope of what I can do online for assessments here. This would really need to be examined in person and tested by specialists.
I will opt-out and your question will open again to all the experts. If someone knows the answer they will post a response to you here. You do not need to re-list your question and this does not cost you extra.
I will not be able to respond back after opting-out.
I do hope you find the information that you seek.
Sincerely,
Nora