Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I am trying to find out the value and operation of a pewter

Customer Question

I am trying to find out the value and operation of a pewter oil lamp. It has a "Made in Italy" tag on it. The lamp's total height is about 13". The base has an inverted dish shape about 5" in diameter. The general shape of the lamp is similar to that of a hand carried candle lamp. The fuel is supplied by a vertical tube 6" tall and 1 1/2" diameter. When in position the tube opening is screwed into the base and is upside down. It is held in place by a vertical frame with Roman numerals up and down. The globe supplies fuel into a small bowl with an angular open tube. giving the impression it is an open flame device. I've been told it is a Betsy or time lamp. I'm not sure if it is open flame or uses a wick. I don"t know what kind of fuel it uses. Suggestions have included a linen wick and olive oil. Can you help please?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi There~
My name is ***** ***** I am here to help with your question.
At your convenience, please send photos. A full image with the design and a clear, in-focus close-up of the mark would be ideal.
When taking a clear close-up try using the macro function on your camera. It looks like a small flower icon. This will allow sharper focus at a closer-range.
When evaluating an item, photos are essential to helping me come to a correct assessment.
There may be an +Add Files button or if there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing above the box where you type in responses, then follow the steps on this link for sharing photos:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert
I look forward to seeing the images. If you are unable to send photos right away, that is fine – there is not a time limit here.
Sincerely,
Nora