Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I bought a Moreau lamp with No 71807 are the 0 could be a 6

Customer Question

I bought a Moreau lamp with No 71807 are the 0 could be a 6 and letters BS are the s could be 5
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi There~
My name is ***** ***** I am here to help with your question.
At your convenience, please send photos. A full image with the design and a clear, in-focus close-up of the mark would be ideal.
When taking a clear close-up try using the macro function on your camera. It looks like a small flower icon. This will allow sharper focus at a closer-range.
When evaluating an item, photos are essential to helping me come to a correct assessment.
There may be an +Add Files button or if there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing above the box where you type in responses, then follow the steps on this link for sharing photos:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert
I look forward to seeing the images. If you are unable to send photos right away, that is fine – there is not a time limit here.
Sincerely,
Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried to send a picture to the phone no. I seen on the page
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
For adding photos here:
~Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is the lamp I was speaking of.
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the image.
At your convenience, please send a clear, in-focus image of her face, the Moreau signature on this, the number marks you mention and a close-up of the electrical cord end that plugs into the wall.
~Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is not a signature of the artist anywhere on the piece that I could find but there are some painted numbers inside and the cord looks to be the same as some other pieces that I have looked at.
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Was this sold to you as a Moreau?
~Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it was
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It seems that someone has repainted the piece. I found no makers mark and if there is a signature then it may be covered by the paint it was touched up with.
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
An original Moreau would have the signature impressioned into the surface and paint would not hide nor disguise it.
Please send requested images at your convenience.
Thank you,
Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If you say the paint will not cover the signature then it is not what I thought it to be. Thank you very much for you time.
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
I can be more definite about what you have if I can see more images.
Please let me know how you would like to proceed.
Sincerely,
Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I bought it I looked it up and it looked like a Moreau lamp but I was not told it was would you know anything about it I tried sending more pic but my comp stopped sending.it just had the numbers painted inside under base 71867-BS
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
You can try emailing your images to***@******.*** and write “For Nora/Antiques” in the subject line of the email.
Photos sent by email do not arrive to me directly nor instantly, they get forwarded to me by admin.
~Nora