Doris - dfm925
Doris - dfm925, Pres, Owner Nashville Appraisals Corporation
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of Nashville Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

I inherited beautiful mother-of-pearl in, full length mirror

Customer Question

I inherited beautiful mother-of-pearl in laid, full length mirror (5” tall x 3” wide) in the 1970’s. My mother-in-law is from Korea and brought it over to the States in the late 1050’s (Hawaii).
The inlay is in black wood and the pattern is a lotus like flowers crowning at the top with two cocks or dragons facing each other.
I was just wondering your thoughts on origin and worth.
Thank you,
-Ken
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi There~
My name is ***** ***** I am here to help with your question.
At your convenience, please send more clear in-focus photos of the details on the frame and of the backside (do not remove frame).
There may be an +Add Files button or if there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing above the box where you type in responses, then follow the steps on this link for sharing photos:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert
I look forward to seeing the images. If you are unable to send photos right away, that is fine – there is not a time limit here.
Sincerely,
Nora
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

I researched your mirror before I decided to answer.

My research indicates that your inlaid mother of pearl mirror is late 19thC Japanese who are also noted for their work in inlaid folding screens of lacquered wood.

I was able to determine that your full length mirror has a retail antiques store value of $3300-3600 assuming excellent condition.

If you would like to sell closer to retail , some ideas are:

The internet has your largest audience of buyers. Place small ads on these sites or set up your own small store on these sites.

Etsy.com - small fees - 20 cents to list plus 3.5% final price.
Artfire.com
Goantiques.com - more upscale fee based
Rubylane.com - more upscale fee based
Tias.com
cyberattic.com
collectoronline.com
collect.com
trocadero.com

Another method that could be very effective would be to place a classified in the "Maine Antique Digest" It has a large readership of collectors all across the country.

http://www.maineantiquedigest.com/advertising

A private seller to a dealer can expect 30-60% of retail value.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING now so that I am compensated by JA for my time and effort. This is of no cost to you.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty, site charges or current appraisal values - all three are beyond my control.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put my name (Doris) at the first of the question, that will make sure it gets to me.

Thank you.