Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I have an old painting left to me by my dad. It is not

Customer Question

I have an old painting left to me by my dad. It is not signed, its very dark oils and looks like it belongs in a Catholic church. Its about 9 x 12 inches, Mary, Joseph, Jesus as a boy, and the three wise men. Mary and Jesus have gold spikey halos and Joseph has a regular round halo. There is gold, red, brown and greenish paint. The canvas is nailed to a wood frame.
It's been stored with a cloth on it in a dark closet. Does it have any value?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi There~
My name is ***** ***** I am here to help with your question.
At your convenience, please send photos.
A complete image of the artwork including frame both front and back (do not remove from frame) and a close-up of the surface so I can see the texture will be ideal.
When taking a clear close-up try using the macro function on your camera. It looks like a small flower icon. This will allow sharper focus at a closer-range.
There may be an +Add Files button or if there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing on your board, then follow the steps on this link:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert
I look forward to seeing the images. If you are unable to send photos right away, that is fine – there is not a time limit here.
Sincerely,
Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I took four photos. Sorry, only have an iPhone.
Thanks for your time.
Kim
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the images.
Please allow me some time to look these over for you.
~Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Nora- no rush just curious about how things are going? Tomorrow will be a week since I sent the photos- but I'm not knowledgeable about how long this kind of thing takes. Thanks,
Kim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Nora, can you let me know how long I should wait for a reply? Even a "still checking" would let me know that you are still there! :) I have no idea how long this should take and I assume the photos were OK? I have sent the painting to my brother in North Carolina because he would like to try and get it appraised in person than over the internet. I think he thinks I was played. Hopefully that's not the case! Thanks, Kim