Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017
71377891

Executive desk from the Leopold Co., Burlington, Iowa

Customer Question

executive desk from the Leopold Co., Burlington, Iowa
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi There~
My name is ***** ***** I am here to help with your question.
At your convenience, please send photos. A full image with the design and a clear, in-focus close-up of the mark would be ideal.
When taking a clear close-up try using the macro function on your camera. It looks like a small flower icon. This will allow sharper focus at a closer-range.
When evaluating an item, photos are essential to helping me come to a correct assessment.
There may be an +Add Files button or if there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing above the box where you type in responses, then follow the steps on this link for sharing photos:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert
I look forward to seeing the images. If you are unable to send photos right away, that is fine – there is not a time limit here.
Sincerely,
Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Nora, This is Elaine replying back. I decided not to get an appraisal of the desk, because it has too many imperfections and stains on it. I would like you to appraise something else instead. It is an antique English Draw Leaf Dining Table and 4 chairs. The table is 73 inches long x 36 inches wide x 30 inches in height. My husband got it from someone that he did carpentry work for. We got it refurbished, but it has all of it's original parts. I couldn't find a manufacturers tag, but I checked on line for antique furniture, and it definitely was made in England, based on similar pieces I've seen. I'm sending a picture of the table and one of the 4 chairs.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure if you got the pictures. Please let me know. Thanks, Elaine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nora, I am waiting for you to respond to my question. Please respond as soon a possible, please. Thanks, Elaine
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

Hi Elaine,

My apology for the delay I have been traveling on business since all last week.

Your set is done in a mix of early English styles such as Jacobean, Tudor and Medieval, though your set was made circa 1900 and made during the Arts & Crafts period when these early styles were being revived and were in style in homes as the furniture decor to have. From the images this appears to be made of oak and the top is quarter-sawn. The form of the legs are referred to as 'cup and cover' and the grape motif is symbolic of bounty, harvest and mirth.

On today's market, the table realistically sells for $600 - $1000 and the chairs $125 - $200 each. The suggested insurance or replacement value is $3000.

~Nora

Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

Just checking in to see if you viewed your answer and if you are seeking further assistance?

Please let me know.

Sincerely,

Nora