Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  40+ yrs. Experience, 40+yrs.Dealer buying/selling antiques.14+ yrs. Antique Store Owner. Member of AOA, AADA. Advanced studies in Antiques at University of Arkansas at Little Rock.
53729464

We have an original oil from Gordon Wheeler. It is from s

Customer Question

We have an original oil from Gordon Wheeler. It is from his Charleston ghost series and is titled Angel Oak. Can you help with a value?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.
My name is Glenda,
I will be glad to help you today.
What size is this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its roughly 30" tall and 42" wide
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello
This is an oil on canvas right?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Correct. We purchased it around 2002 from the Gordon Wheeler Gallery in Charleston. Including the frame it is about 36" tall and 48" wide.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He seems to have a lot of variation in price on his website for new artwork. Not sure what drives the differences in the prices. He used to have prints shown on the site, but I can not find any of the pictures or data on this painting or prints on his site anymore.
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello
Yes, the variations are there. He sets his own values and I am not sure what constitutes the values he puts on pieces.
His work is valued high in art data bases, and from large auction houses.
.
The Painting you have has a market value of $6***-**-****.00 depending on the condition. These will typically sell higher in an Art Gallery or Private sale compared to an auction. If you are thinking of selling, you might want to check your local Shops in the area to see what yours or one like it would sell for or has sold for, then you can decide to sell online or locally. As Art is subject in selling price to different areas across the country. Larger Metropolitan Areas bring higher prices then Smaller Cities.
.
If you plan on selling this I would list this for sell on the internet where it will have the largest shopping market. There are some great sites you can sell from.
.
You can sell on Etsy, which is a great place to sell from, you list Vintage Items, they can stay until they sell. Much like having a little store online.
There is also Rubylane, which is a more upscale site where people sell more expensive items.
There is also Tias and GoAntiques, which is on the same scale of Rubylane.
There is Amazon Market Place, ArtFire and of course Ebay. All of these sites get you a lot of World Wide exposure and bring the best traffic. They are all great!
Keep in mind if you sell to a dealer or antique or resell shop you can expect to get about 30-40% of what it is worth since they have to resell the item.
.
If you have any further questions or problem about your answer, please reply to me before deciding to leave a negative rating, which does effect my job.
.
If you would like to work with me on further questions you might have, it would be a pleasure to work with you again. All you have to do is put my name ( Glenda ) at the beginning of your question.
.
Please keep in mind I am only compensated from the site for my answer, if you rate me positively.
.
You do so immediately following this answer by clicking one of the top two Smiles, or Stars depending which one you see on your answer! Please let me know if you rate this answer, if it did not go through then I can take appropriate measures to make sure I am credited for this. Thanks for letting me know.
.
Thank you so much!
Glenda