Tim in Antiques
Tim in Antiques, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Certified Fine Art Appraiser, MA, President of ANA, CFAA
54025905

My parents have 3 paintings by an guy who painted landscapes

Customer Question

My parents have 3 paintings by an guy who painted landscapes in the west in the 1800's, maybe early 1900's. What is the best way to have them appraised? They live in Brewster, Washington, in the middle of the state.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Tim in Antiques replied 1 year ago.

Good day my name is***** am happy to help you. Please send images of the landscape front, back and a clear image of any signatures or writing. You can use the paperclip icon located on the toolbar to send them.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will be near the paintings next week and will do.
Thank you, ***** ***** when you can.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There are actually 5 paintings, 2 large and 3 small. The largest one is the one with the canoe, and it's approx 24 x 36. The other large one is the one with the path and house in the foreground; it's a little smaller than the other large one. I didn't remove either of these from the wall to check what, if anything, is on the back. If you need me to do that, I can. The smaller paintings are all about 12 x 24. ( I didn't measure any of them...) The artist is J. E. Stuart. The pictures are not in any order, but I hope you can sort them out by frame, etc. If you have any questions, let me know and I can clarify. Some were taken with my iPhone and some with a "good" camera. I just found out that the ones taken with the good camera are too big to send this way. Do you use DropBox or something? Or perhaps these iPhone ones will tell you enough. Thanks, Marianne
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Why is my question closed? The guy never got back to me after I sent him pictures!
Good evening Marianne, Sorry for the delay, I have been working in the field with clients for the last week. Thank you I have your pictures. Here is information on the artist and a estimate of value.
James Everett STUART (1852-1941)
Birth place: Dover, ME
Death place: San Francisco, CA
Addresses: Chicago, IL; San Francisco, CA
Profession: Landscape painter
Studied: in Sacramento with Wood, 1868-73; San Francisco Sch. Design with V. Williams, R.D. Yelland, Hill & Keith, 1873-78; NYC.
Exhibited: PAFA Ann., 1894; Am. Art Soc., 1902 (bronze medal); AIC; Soc. Indep. Artists, 1918-19, 1921
Member: Soc. Indep. Artists; NAC; Bohemian Club; San Francisco AA; AAPL.
Work: Kalamazoo (MI) Art Assn.; Michigan State Library; Oregon Hist. Soc.; Joslyn Mem., Omaha; Reno Arts and Crafts Club; Oakdale Public Library; Oakland Mus.; Los Angeles Mus. History, Science & Art; Los Angeles Art Assn.; Southwest Mus., Los Angeles; Municipal Art Commission, Los Angeles; Doheny Library; Univ. Southern Calif., Los Angeles; Calif. State Lib., Sacramento; Crocker Gal., Sacramento; de Young Mus., San Francisco; Golden Gate Park Mus., San Francisco; Bancroft Lib., UC Berkeley; Montana Hist. Soc.; Washington State Hist. Soc.; White House, Washington, DC; Witt Art Lib., London
Comments: The grandson of portrait painter Gilbert Stuart (see entry), he is said to have painted more than 5,000 paintings during his long and successful career. After studying in San Francisco, he opened a studio in Portland, OR, from which he took numerous painting excursions. In 1891-92 he opened a studio in Tacoma, WA, where he stayed until the early 1890s, producing many works of historical importance. In 1892, he was living in NYC, then Chicago (15 years), until he moved back to San Francisco in 1912. He was successful in selling his paintings for huge sums to prominent people, including John D. Rockefeller. He was the originator of a new method of painting on aluminum and wood.
His paintings have sold at many of the auction houses in California and Oregon. They bring the best prices at the following Auction Houses.
Coeur d'Alene Art Auction, http://www.cdaartauction.com/
$2,500.00
Sotheby's, New York NY, http://www.sothebys.com/en/inside/locations-worldwide/new-york/overview.html
$7,000.00
Bonhams, Los Angeles CA, http://www.bonhams.com/locations/LA/
$4,500.00
As you can see the results vary greatly. The current art market is very volatile and can change greatly. I have given you a basic value range. If you are considering insuring them you need to contact an appraiser in your area. Make sure that he or she specializes in art, and belongs to a recognized association,
If you are thinking of selling you need to contact one of the auction houses and ask for an auction estimate.
This gives us an estimated value range on each painting of $2,500 to $7,000.00
All the best *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The links you sent did not take me to any Stuart paintings, just generic gallery pages.
the links are to the auction houses that had the best results selling Stuart's art.They will guide you to contacting them for estimates.