Steven-R
Steven-R, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  I am a retired Major, US Army, and an antiques and collectibles consultant based on the east coast.
74160645

I have 4 V-disc masters. One sided, all Benny Goodman and s

Customer Question

I have 4 V-disc masters. One sided, all Benny Goodman and his Orchestra with one cut from Tommy Dorsey and his Orchestra. Each album has 2-4 songs on it, is made of metal, is 50 rpm and plays from the inside out. I have found no one that is able to even tell me about them, never mind put a reliable value on them. I have been told $200.00 to $45,000.00 each. I do not intend to sell them, as someone in my family either played or produced them. They were made on July 4, 1945 in Werzburg, Germany in Bay A at the military base there. To repeat, these are not vinyl records, they are what appear to be masters that were cut in Germany on 4 July 1945. Hand-written labels with all this data on them. Thank you for your assistance, Ted Mavrakos,***@******.***
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Steven-R replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am pleased to help. As you are likely aware, V Disc was a record label produced during the World War II era by special arrangement between the United States government and various private U.S. record companies. Many popular singers, big bands and orchestras of the era recorded special V Disc records. These 12-inch, 78 rpm gramophone recordings were created between 1943 and 1949. The "V" stands for "Victory". The V Disc project actually began in June 1941, six months before the United States' involvement in World War II.

While once a popular collectible, values for these have dropped considerably over the past three decades. At one time, a master could achieve around $1,500 to $2,500 but on today's market, I sincerely ***** ***** would get interest at over $200 each. The only thing pushing that much value would be their being masters. The more standard versions seldom achieve more than $45 on the open market, I'm sorry to say.

If I can assist further in any manner at all, please just ask.

With kind regards,

Steve