Frank
Frank, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Expert in gold, silver, jewelry and American antiquities.
66811035

I need a starting point on value of 4 balloon bustle back

Customer Question

I need a starting point on value of 4 balloon bustle back chairs and the game table set. I want to sell them but can't find anything similar.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Frank replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome to Just Answer,My name is***** am a Personal Property Appraiser and would be happy to assist you with your question.Do you have any photos of the set you may be able to send? There are a few different options to send pictures to us, they are as follows: UPLOAD:The link below will direct you through our upload processhttp://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert EMAIL:You can also email pictures to support@justanswer.com with ATTN MTantiques in the subject heading. Be sure to include the link to your question page in the email for our customer service. The emails can take up to a few hours to process, but as soon as I receive it I can send my evaluation.Thank you for your time,Frank
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Frank, I had attempted to send a photo when I asked the question but apparently, it didn't work. I just tried again and see that it lists it below so......... Ah hah...the second photo finally showed up. All the chairs are in good shape except one. It squeaks and gives little if you squirm in it.The chair seats were recovered and reinforced in the corners of the frames with staples. That occurred in about 1960. The whole set was refinished, too late now, by Mr. FitzGerald for my parents. He was THE MAN to recondition or repair good furniture in our area.Other than that, They have some dents and dings but they are pretty minor. You could see them in the close up of one chair if I could get it to attach. I bet it is because the images are huge so I can post them on-line, where ever you suggest this type furniture should be marketed. Notice how subtly I slipped in that veiled question? Well, it just won't accept another photo so I'll send this on and try with our next conversation to add a close up.
Expert:  Frank replied 1 year ago.

If you could add that close up shot of you wanted that would be terrific. So they have been repaired and refinished. Did you by chance see any names on the set? Possible on the undersides?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had to make the images smaller to get them to attach! Arrrrr! So, I haven't noticed any names, stamps, or other marks but I haven't looked with a light and a glass. Should I do so?There is another chair with almost identical scuffs. It looks like it was pushed up against the table at some time. The other two chairs are pristine. The picture of the bottom of the seat shows that the corners were reinforced with staples sometime.
Expert:  Frank replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for sending those extra photos over.

Your antique game table and chairs would have been produced circa 1860 and would be categorized as Victorian in design.

The early Victorian balloon back chairs at one time were highly sought after by collectors and antique buyers but we're mostly used for display purposes as they were fairly fragile for the current generation of folks to sit in.

In the current market you would be looking at retail values of 90-100USD per chair. The table would have a retail value of 350-400USD.

Again current market constraints have brought the prices down but that is a good starting point for the table and chairs. Not to say someone wouldn't try to beat you down on the price if it caught their eye.

I hope this information has been helpful to you today.

Thank you in advance for any feedback you can leave for my service today.

Frank