AppraiserJM
AppraiserJM, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Certified Appraiser, Appraiser's Association of America. USPAP qualified through 2015.
30223878

I have a 1964 magnavox magna color astro sonic stereo

Customer Question

I have a 1964 magnavox magna color astro sonic stereo theatre in mint working condition and am curious about its value. I have all original documentation as well as remote and even the box that the original needle came in.
Category: Antiques
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  AppraiserJM replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is*****'m a certified appraiser, and I'd be happy to help.

You have a really interesting item in great condition! Unfortunately, however, the market is very poor. Few collectors have the space for this type of item, and transportation/shipping limits to a local market.

Typically, this would be valued in the range of $250-$400.

Please let me know if I can help further with this item.

Sincerely,

Jennifer

I see you have not yet rated/accepted my answer.
Here at JustAnswer, we are not paid or credited for our work until the customer provides a positive rating. I understand you may be disappointed in the value, but of course I have no control over that, and I spend the same time on research and review no matter the final value I determine.
Please let me know if you have additional questions, I am happy to continue to help until you feel justified in providing a positive rating for my work.
Sincerely,
Jennifer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm confused...While i was waiting for a response I've come across a few sites that state the value between $6,000 and $12,000. Is there something that I'm missing?

I can't comment specifically, because I don't know what sites, but I'm happy to review if you give me the names and/or links.

Appraisal is based on a willing seller/willing buyer model. I've found records of quite a few of these that have sold over the past few years, none over $400. (Keep in mind that appraisals are based on prices ACHIEVED, not prices ASKED--particularly eBay asking prices which are often amateur and unrealistic!)

In general, vintage electronics, especially the larger cabinet pieces, do not sell at high prices. Few collectors have the space for them, and shipping and transportation are an additional problem. I've never seen a vintage stereo of any kind sell for the prices you are mentioning (and I've been a full-time appraiser for 22 years), so I'd love to see those links.

There are some examples currently available, with slightly varying cabinets and years, on sites like Chairish and Etsy, all for under $400. While the original box and manual add a small amount of value, they don't add a significant amount.

Sincerely,

Jennifer

Hi, are you able to show me those links/sites you mentioned?
Jennifer
Good morning,
I see you have not yet accepted or rated my answer. Here at JustAnswer, Experts cannot be credited for their work until the customer provides a positive rating.
Of course, I want you to feel justified in providing a positive rating. How can I help further? Do you have more questions about this item?
Sincerely,
Jennifer
Good morning,
Sincerely,
Jennifer