Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I have a 1390's large China lantern made of cast iron. My

Customer Question

I have a 1390's large China lantern made of cast iron. My mother bought it in San Francisco in the 60's. The dealer said it was brought from China in the 1800's. I would like to know what it is worth.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Steven-R replied 1 year ago.

Could you post an image and note the dimensions, please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is about 57" high, 20" at the base, and 27" at the top.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just realized I sent the same picture twice. Here is another that I meant to send.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is a very complex Item, it is clearly the real thing, do what needs to be done.
Thank you,
Cory xxxxxxx
Expert:  Steven-R replied 1 year ago.

Hi--forms like this are generally late 1880s to early 1920s...are there markings on the other side and are there any fasteners present (bolts, screws, etc.)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is Lyon looking figures at the base, a couple of Dragon type figures going up, some designs under the door, kind of a lift up latch on the door with two pins for hinges. there does not seem to be any more Chinese writing on it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you have any ideas as to the worth of this lantern?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you think this a turn of the century type, or do you think it could be the 1390's like my mother was told, and what value do you put on it respectfully (if it is the original, or if it is the late 1800's or early 1900's).Thank you,
Cory