Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017
71377891

We have an antique bed and dresser that we purchased at an

Customer Question

We have an antique bed and dresser that we purchased at an estate sale around 1990. The person that we bought it from said that she remembered her grandparents buying it from an antique store when she was a child. There is a name plate on the end of the bed with the name, W. I. Landell. In researching the name, it looks like his name may be Washington I. Landell, and may have been the President of the Kensington National Bank in Philadelphia. The records indicate that he was born, Jan 20, 1817 and died Jan 15, 1887. We have attached some photos and would like to get an appraisal. Thank you for your help!
Category: Antiques
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've attached additional photos.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I wanted to follow up & make sure you received my question. Please let me know if additional information or additional pictures are needed. Thank you for your help!
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi There~
My name is ***** ***** I am here to help with your question.
What is the bed size?
At your convenience, please send more photos. An image of the corner of a drawer so I can see the joinery will be very helpful.
When taking a clear close-up try using the macro function on your camera. It looks like a small flower icon. This will allow sharper focus at a closer-range.
When evaluating an item, photos are essential to helping me come to a correct assessment.
There may be an +Add Files button or if there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing above the box where you type in responses, then follow the steps on this link for sharing photos:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert
I look forward to seeing the images. If you are unable to send photos right away, that is fine – there is not a time limit here.
Sincerely,
Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Nora, Thank you for your reply. The size of the bed is larger than a double bed but not as large as a queen. We had to have a mattress made to fit it. I've attached some close up pictures as you requested. I can send more if you need them. We look forward to hearing your comments. Thank you! Taryn
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The actual size of the bed is 59" wide and 79" in length, inside of the frame.
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the images and additional information.
Please allow me some time to look these over for you.
~Nora
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi There~
Thank you for your patience.
You have an antique mid 19th century Victorian era bed frame and dresser. The wood, from the images is likely mahogany.
Without a maker label or stamp who made this cannot be definitively stated.
On today's market, expect to garner up to $2000 for the set. The suggested insurance or replacement value is $4000 for the set.
Please note that experts here are not employees of justanswer.com, experts are verified users who are only paid when you leave a favorable rating.
If you are having trouble finding the rating button, please let me know!
Your question will NOT close after you leave rating.
Sincerely,
Nora