Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I picked up a sculpture in the 1990's from a silent

Customer Question

Hello, I picked up a sculpture in the 1990's from a silent auction. It appears to be bronze, and in the Art Deco or Art Nouveau type style. It is about 27"tall and inserts by a peg into a wooden base, but it can be removed. I paid very little for it, but
have enjoyed it. I was curious about how, where, and when it may have been made, as well as the type of metal, it's approximate value, or anything else of interest about the piece. I cannot find any type of marking or signature on the sculpture. We like to
dress this lady up at Christmas time with beads and the top to a Santa costume! Please see photos. Thank you, Kathleen***@******.***
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello
Is this marked ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. I have been unable to find any markings and have looked the statue over thoroughly. Thank you.
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.
With no markings on it, there is no way to know who made this, when or where. It can be valued, there have been many of these sold over the years at larger auction houses, were we have access to view past sales prices. So it can be valued, if you like? It is a Bronze Sculpture.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Glenda,The value is not critical. I was somewhat curious about the time period when it may have been made, but without markings, it sounds as if it would be difficult to know.Many thanks,Kathleen
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.
Kathleen,
The time period appears to be the Art Deco Period, or at least it represents the Art Deco Period which is 1920s, 1930s and 1940's before it went out at the time of WWII. This is a really nice sculpture.
Glenda