rarewares
rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

3-piece antique parlor set with the heavily carved frame

Customer Question

3-piece antique parlor set with the heavily carved wood frame containing griffons, cherubs, human Egyptian figures and floral cornucopias.
Category: Antiques
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Wayne replied 1 year ago.

Can you post a photo of this?
1.
Click the paperclip icon
2.
Click the Browse icon
3.
Click the Browse button
4.
Select your file and click Open
5.
Click OK
6.
Click Insert
7.
Click Save Changes on this page

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-0

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sent pics. with second message. If that didn't work, don't think your instructions will yield different result. I could forward original Comcast email with pics. if you can provide an email address for me.Thanks.
Expert:  Wayne replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry you are having trouble. You can email photos to***@******.*** Photos for meyerbuys.
Thanks,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm unhappy that I've gotten NO info. and yet you're asking for more money. Also, the length of time it's taken to just get "canned" responses and nothing specific. At this point, I'm thinking of cancelling membership since I've gotten no real answer to my question.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Now I'm even more unhappy with another "canned" response for additional money before I get any info. about the original request. Is this how Just Answer works? If so, I can't imagine anyone being happy with the service.
Expert:  Wayne replied 1 year ago.
I only received a photo of one piece, the rest was text messages that I could not open. I don't make any money unless you are satisfied with an answer. Can you send a photo of the all of the pieces?
Thanks,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sent reply as soon as I got your last message saying that all pics. were sent in one file (total of 8 pics.) so if one opened, all should have. Do you want me to try sending them again? I've sent 3 messages with pics. at this point.
Expert:  Wayne replied 1 year ago.
These are forwarded to me. Can you please try again?
Thanks,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your reply, Wayne.I will try sending the entire file of pics. to***@******.*** again.
Expert:  Wayne replied 1 year ago.
This is a beautiful late Victorian set. This is circa 1875-1885. These pieces appear to be in excellent condition with the exception of the upholstery. Unfortunately, there is limited market for Victorian furniture, in fact antique furniture in general. Because your pieces are so detailed I think they would fetch $3000-5000 at auction in their current condition.
Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Very dissatisfied with minimal info. provided. I already knew approximate age. I wanted to know probable maker (which should be identifiable by carving subject matter and construction of set). In all the research I've done, nothing showed up combining the elaborate Egyptian figural carving combined with the florals etc. Horner was the only maker that even came close.
Expert:  Wayne replied 1 year ago.
Without these being signed or a lable it is almost impossible to identify the maker. Horner pieces are much heavier even kind of gothic not at all like these chairs. I will opt out of the question and open this up to other experts. Perhaps someone will know who made this. Good luck.
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.

The photos are not in your attachment. You attached an entire text of your main email page, but there are no photos there, it is a text file and not a photo file.

If you see a paper clip icon or ADD FILES button, then you should try attaching with those features. These features work best on a desktop computer.

If you need to email the photos because they are only on your phone, send to***@******.*** and put FOR RAREWARES IN ANTIQUES in the subject line so that they will get forwarded to me. This method takes a bit longer, so thank you in advance for some patience.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sent phone pics. to RAREWARE IN ANTIQUES. Thank you for a second opinion on this parlor set.Want to know if reupholstering will decrease value.
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.
Wonderful, thank you. I will respond back as soon as I get them.
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.
When one looks at the shape, fabric, manner in which fabric is attached, 2 dimensional carving rather than 3 dimensional, and the carving of a Greek carved figure (sorry, not Egyptian), this brings us to the 1920's -30's time period when the brocade fabric was being introduced, carving was less three-dimensional, and the barrel chair became a staple of the living room set. It would be impossible to know the exact maker in this case. This set has a value of $1000.00, so it would not be worth reupholstering. That would cost into the thousands depending on type of material chosen plus labor. I would hate to see you put so much money into a set that would not really increase the value of it in the end. Reupholstered would only add a few hundred to the value no matter how much money you have spent on the job.