Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

Is Robert Farrington known of the Cutty Sark? If yes, a

Customer Question

Is Robert Farrington known for paintings of the Cutty Sark? If yes, are they collectibles? Also we bought a picture more than 30 years ago by Farrington called "Cutty Sark" and would want an estimated value.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  AppraiserJM replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is*****'m a certified appraiser, and I'd be happy to help.Can you also upload a close-up of the signature?Thanks.Jennifer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I can. I'll try to "add files" and send.
Ben
Thank you. I do not usually work on Sundays but I will try to get to this today.
I'm so sorry for the delay. I was waiting for a reply from a colleague with a signature example.
This signature does not match Robert Farrington's, and it also looks more like "Harrington." Is the "Farrington" on the back also signed by the artist, or does it look like it was written there by a gallery? Does it indicate Robert?
Jennifer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Appraiser JM:
When you look closely at the signature you will notice the dash mark before the "a", I believe the first answer is probably an "F". It was probably the Gallery that wrote Farrington as artist, but they probably dealt with artist. When looking at internet, I find many "Cutty Sark" paintings identified to a Farrington, but no first name
I'm not actually able to find any Cutty Sark paintings identified to a Farrington, either in any of the art databases (ArtNet, ArtPrice, AskArt, Invaluable, Arcadja, WorthPoint) or in a general Google search.
This piece is definitely late 20th century, and is not by the California artist Robert Farrington, nor by any other "listed" artists with the name Farrington.
If you show me those records on the Internet you mentioned, I'm happy to take a look, but unfortunately my instinct is that this is a "starving artist" type production painting. Where did you purchase it?
Jennifer
Can you provide information on when and where you bought the painting?
Jennifer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've been out of town for the last week. I'll try to identify the web site where I found "Cutty Sark" painting by Farrington.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You might be right, but when I GOOGLE Cutty Sark paintings by Farrington, it gives me some images by Farrington. Images for Cutty Sark paintings by Farrington. Is it possible that there is an Alice Farrington?
If you google it, images come up, but if you click those links, you won't see anything about Farrington. They come up because of the city of Farringdon, which is linked to the Cutty Sark. If you Google with a + in front of Farrington, meaning it must be spelled exactly, you won't get anything.
At least I'm not. If you are actually finding links that show Cutty Sark paintings and say Farrington on the page, can you please show me? I'm very curious now!
Jennifer