Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I have a Guanyin carving about 6.5 inches tall. It is

Customer Question

Hello I have a Guanyin carving about 6.5 inches tall. It is not elephant Ivory, not bone, not wood or stone. From my research it looks like mineralized walrus tusk due to its brown tint and mineralized center. I am unable to find anything similar to this carving. antique dealers I asked where I live believe it is old but have no idea what it is made off or period. Any suggestions on how i can find out its origins?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.
My name is Glenda,
I will be glad to help you today.
You need to take this to a fine art appraiser that specializes in Asian Art, they will be able to inspect this in person in order to tell you what it is, age and value.
You can find one online by using International Society of Appraisers or American Society of Appraisers. Just can check your local area.
But, this is impossible to date or know for sure what it is by looking at it online.
Glenda
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply I will try to find an Asian antique appraiser on American society of appraisers. I was wondering though if you have ever seen anything similar to this
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello
Yes, I have seen similar, the problem is that so many were copied. So it always best to have these checked in person.