Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I have Regency China place settings- Royal Worcester

Customer Question

I have Regency China for 12 place settings- Royal Worcester 51. What is the value of this the best best to sell this beautiful collection . It's in pristine condition.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.
How many pieces are there in each place setting?
What serving pieces are there? These can add a lot to value.
Kind regards,
Doris
I am going to need a photo of a cup from your set. I need to see the shape of the cup as well as a sample of the pattern
To send photos you may use the "attach" or "add" link or paper clip you see on your reply page.
If none is there, then you may use the free internet photo site
imgur.com Use the following instructions:
Go to http://www.imgur.com
a. Click "Computer"
b. Find the photo file on your computer that you want to send
c. Click open on the file
d. You will see a Start Upload link on the imgur.com page.
Click on it
e. Your image will appear on the screen
f. Highlight and copy the address link under Direct Link
to the right on the imgur page
g. Paste that link into your reply box on Just Answer
Kind regards,
Doris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Doris,
Thanks for your prompt response. May I send you some photos tomorrow, as, I 'm a bit tired now after work. Hopefully, I 'll be able to figure out how to send the photos to you. I'm not very tech savvy. Is it easy to do. I 'll have to go to imgur.com, right or attach the photos the next time that I reply.
The china was just shipped to me, so, it's all wrapped up, but, I can certainly find a cup. My guess is that there are several serving dishes, etc as well.Thank you. Betsy
Betsy,
Tomorrow is fine.
Kind regards,
Doris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Doris
I hope you get this with my photos?
Please let me know if this worked.Sincerely,
Betsy Lieberman
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Again,
Just making sure that my photos went through.
Betsy Lieberman
The photos are perfect. Thank you.
Now I need to know how many pieces are in each place setting plus a list of serving pieces.
Kind regards,
Doris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Doris,
I 'm glad that the photos went through. Now, I 'm going to have to unpack the boxes in order to determine how many pieces are in each setting. I know for sure that there's a dinner plate, a salad plate, cup/saucer and a soup bowl in each place setting, totaling 12 settings. I also know that there's a large serving bowl and I 'll have to unpack the rest which will take some time. I 'm also going to call my sister tomorrow, as, she may know these answers and then I 'll get back to you. Based on this information so far and the photo, can you guestimate the value and tell me if it would be easy to sell. I will also get you the additional information that you're requesting, hopefully by tomorrow.There's a lot to unpack as it was shipped with lots of bubble wrap and styrofoam peanuts. They did a great job protecting the china at the UPS office. Thanks again.
Let me work with the pieces you have listed. I will give you valuw for those. Kind regards, Doris
For the pieces you have given me, the retail vintage store value is $4090.As for where to sell.....If you want to sell quickly at wholesale prices, try one of these sites.I do not know where you live so I will make suggestions for three countries.The wholesale price would be about 30-40% of the retail value.In US:Replacements.comChinaLane.comChinaFinders.comChinaReplacements.comIn UK:ChinaSearch.co.ukMatchingChina.co.ukChinaMatchers.co.ukReplaceYourPlates.co.ukAustralia: http://www.allthegalleries.com/dealers/porcelain.htmlIf you would like to sell closer to retail , some ideas are:The internet has you largest audience of buyers. Place small ads on these sites or set up your own small store on these sites.Etsy.com - no or small feesArtfire.comGoantiques.com - more upscale fee basedRubylane.com - more upscale fee basedTias.comAmazon Marketplace: http://services.amazon.com/content/sell-on-amazon.htm/ref=footer_soa?ld=AZFSSOAcyberattic.comcollectoronline.comcollect.comtrocadero.com Please let me know when you do what other pieces you have. This is a very pricey set. Kind regards,Doris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Doris,
Thanks for all
Of the suggestions. Do you have a
Recommendation of the best way for
Me to go. Is it easy to sell
The chime myself at closer to retail on one of the sites you
Mentioned! Obviously getting more
Money for the set would be my preference. I'm waiting to hear from
My sister with
More info
About the
Serving pieces. Thank you !
Betsy
I am not sure if you are asking for other ways to sell retail??? Trying to get retail takes longer. How long it takes will vary. You have a lovely set. If you price it ten to twenty per cent below retail, you will sell more quickly. There are other sites where a customer must pay full retail. Those sites will only buy from you at wholesale. If a customer is a wise shopper, he/she will see your slightly lower prices.I look forward to hearing what other pieces you have.Kind regards,Doris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Doris,
I 'll have to go through the boxes to determine the other serving pieces. My sister says there's definitely a creamer and suger bowl as well.
Are you recommending that I unpack everything to know exactly what serving pieces I have in order to determine the exact value. Then, when I sell it, I 'll have to pack everything up again. I guess that I 'll have to do that.There's so many sites listed, do you have a couple that you could recommend as being the most reliable . It sounds like I have the option of listing the china on one of these sites and selling it myself for closer to the retail value or selling it to a retailer for wholesale price which may be easier ? and more timely. I 'm in no rush to sell the china- FYI If this were your china, what would you do ? It is beautiful, but, I don't really have the lifestyle now to use it and my guess is , that it would go unused. Thanks for the advice regarding this and I 'll also attempt to unpack the china piece by piece and see what's there.Sincerely,
Betsy
Betsy,
You basically would be "dumping" it to sell it to one of the replacement sites. They often only offer 30% of what they plan to charge for it - the retail price.
You are better off even selling it to a dealer or putting it on consignment where you will probably get 50% retail.
The way to realize your best price is to sell it on one of the websites that I suggested previously. You do not need to sell it as a whole set or by the piece. Sell all your dinner plates together as one group. Sell all your other pieces in like piece groupings. That way it's not so much work plus you do not end up with 2 salad plates, 3 cups, 4 bread plates, etc.
Send me the list of serving pieces when you have the time.
Kind regards,
Doris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Doris,
Thanks for the good advice. I 'll be back in touch as soon as i have time to unpack the boxes. That's interesting that you're suggesting I break up the set to sell, as, I assumed that it would be best to sell the entire set to one dealer/person, rather than breaking it up ? Hmmm- that could go on for awhile finding different buyers for different pieces. It would be great if I could get a good price for the entire set. Maybe there's a place in San Francisco would that buy the set from me ? If not, I 'll look in to the web sites that you listed.Thanks again.
Yes, I was part of the LA Junior League Antiques Show a while back. There were several dealers that came down from the San Francisco area. I cannot remember their names.Another possibility is to place an ad in your local Craig's list but say cash only and do not let them into your home. An ad in one of the local publications might work as well. Just remember - specify cash only.Kind regards,Doris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good advice !
Thank you.