Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I have what I 've been told is a military desk. The legs are

Customer Question

I have what I 've been told is a military desk. The legs are easily removed and the top can be easily carried. The top is flat with the exception of a brass hinge running across the top of it about 1/4 of the way back. When you open the hinge, there is an insert that pulls out.
After it is pulled out beyond the edge of the main piece two arms come out and spread to each side--providing the desk surface. Each "wing" has slots for some sort of storage. The right hand wing has an ink well with a little wooden cap that lifts up and spins off to allow you to access the ink. The front piece suggests some secretarial use as there is a key hole. Also the front has where the leaves come has a different style of wood. Inside the area where the ink jar is exists the following notation: 919 Chimmel Fairbault Minnesota. I guess that is the big clue.
My great great grandfather was General James Shields. He was the only person to have ever been a senator from 4 states simultaneously and was known in southern MN. I don't know if this desk has anything to do with him. And, by the way, he challenged Lincoln to a duel for Mary Todd. Shields was a compact man and having made the challenge, Lincoln got to choose the weapon. The long sword it was. Shields stepped back and, I'm sure had a less complex life as a result of bowing out.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi There~ My name is ***** ***** I am here to help with your question. At your convenience, please send photos. When evaluating an item, photos are essential to helping me come to a correct assessment. There may be an +Add Files button or if there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing above the box where you type in responses, then follow the steps on this link for sharing photos: http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert I look forward to seeing the images. If you are unable to send photos right away, that is fine – there is not a time limit here. Sincerely,Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will find a way to send photos--not something I know how to do.
Andrea
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi Andrea,
Take as long as you need.
~Nora
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
I received 3 views of your campaign desk. I would really need to see more images of this to really gain a scope online here of the piece, which looks rather fine.
I can refer you to a top American furniture auction house as well, who may be of help.
~Nora