Tim in Antiques
Tim in Antiques, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Certified Fine Art Appraiser, MA, President of ANA, CFAA
54025905

I have a painting from a consignor that is signed, N. Saine.

Customer Question

I have a painting from a consignor that is signed, N. Saine. He insists this painting is good and spent a lot of money for it. I can not find any records for an artist by this name. Could you please look and see what you think? Thank you! Lori K
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi There~
My name is ***** ***** I am here to help with your question.
What is the size?
At your convenience, please send photos.
A complete image of the artwork including frame both front and back (do not remove from frame), a clear in-focus close-up of the signature, and a close-up of the surface so I can see the texture will be ideal.
When taking a clear close-up try using the macro function on your camera. It looks like a small flower icon. This will allow sharper focus at a closer-range.
There may be an +Add Files button or if there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing on your board, then follow the steps on this link:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert
I look forward to seeing the images. If you are unable to send photos right away, that is fine – there is not a time limit here.
Sincerely,
Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Files attached. It measures 41 1/2 x 21 1/2 not including the frame.
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Thank you for the images. Please allow me some time to look these over for you. ~Nora
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi Lori,
Is there a name plaque on the front center bottom of frame?
What particular information are you seeking on this?
~Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please find the attached photo of the name plate on the painting.
Thank you,Lori
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi There,
I have not found a match to this artist for you.
I will opt-out and your question will open again to all the experts. If someone knows the answer they will post a response to you here. You do not need to re-list your question and this does not cost you extra.
I will not be able to respond back after opting-out.
I do hope you find the information that you seek.
Sincerely,
Nora
Expert:  Tim in Antiques replied 1 year ago.
Hi Lori, my name is Tim. It appears the painting signed N. Saine, was originally sold in 2005 for $2,700.00. As you determined there is however no listed artist by that name. In looking at the signature it is very possible that the name on the plate is wrong. It would take hours of research to try to match the name which is indistinct from the photos. So the best I can give you is what the painting sold for $2,700.00. Regards Tim